Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


The Hatters are knocked out at the quarter-final stage...

4 December 2019

Sponsored by

The Hatters Under-18s’ run in the EFL Youth Alliance Cup was ended at the quarter-final stage with a 5-1 defeat against Oxford United at the Brache last night.

The away side took the lead just before half-time through Leon Chambers-Parillon and doubled their advantage in the 67th minute as substitute Callum Crook headed in. 

Chambers-Parillon grabbed a third shortly after for the away side, though Coree Wilson did pull one goal back for the Hatters with just over fifteen minutes to play. 

A comeback attempt was short-lived as Tyler Goodhram volleyed in a fourth and Crook scored his second of the game in the 87th minute to secure their place in the semi-final. 

The contest could have been a lot different if Town capitalised on the presentable chances they had during the opening stages of the game.

After Chambers-Parillon squandered an opportunity for Oxford at one end, Tra Lucas went so close to taking the lead for the Hatters, after running through on goal and hitting the post.

The Town continued their dominance as Callum Nicolson went close from 20-yards, though his effort was deflected just wide of the post. 

But Oxford also had chances of their own as Connor Ferguson hit the side-netting from a tight angle, before they took the lead in the 38th minute.

Tyler Goodhram whipped a free-kick in from the right-hand-side and Chambers-Parillon connected well to direct his volley past Tiernan Parker. 

Wilson went close just after the hour mark as he ran through on goal, but his shot was saved by Max Evans. 

Moments after coming on from the bench Josh Boorn had a golden opportunity to equalise for the Hatters, but his chipped effort went marginally wide of the post.

That would prove costly as just before the 70-minute mark, against the run of play once more, Oxford doubled their advantage as second-half substitute Callum Crook headed in from Chambers-Parillon’s cross. 

Oxford got their third goal via a corner, after Parker’s initial save from Viktor Milton fell straight to Chambers-Parillon at the back post, who tapped home.

In the 74th minute, Wilson pulled a goal back for the Hatters, thumping in from close range to score his fourth goal in the competition.

However, Oxford quickly restored their three-goal margin as Michael Elechi crossed for Goodhram to volley into the top corner.

Despite Town again threatening in-front of goal, Crook added a fifth for the away side, hitting his volley into the ground and into the far corner.

TOWN: Parker, Halsey, Wedd, Francis, Kalonda, Beckwith (Stevens 79), Pettit (Boorn 63), Nicolson, Newton (Allen 79), Lucas (McJannet 79), Wilson. Subs not used: Horlick 

Goals: Wilson (74)

Yellows: Kalonda 

OXFORD: Evans, Johnson, Elechi, Sole (Gardner 79), Milton, Jones (Knight 63), Goodhram, Chambers-Parillon, Ferguson, Stevens (Smith 45), Lopes (Crook 45) Subs not used: Gardner, Niemczycki

Goals: Chambers-Parillon (38, 72), Crook (67, 87) Goodhram (75)

Advertisement block