Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 02/02/2016

2 February 2016

Match Reports

Match Report : 02/02/2016

2 February 2016

Sponsored by

Town 1-1 Yeovil

A superb late goal from defender Alan Sheehan earned the Town a point against Yeovil at Kenilworth Road.

The defender volleyed home a stunning left-foot shot with seven minutes to go to cancel out the Liam Walsh’s opener for the Glovers.

And the Town came close to finding an even later winner when Cameron McGeehan saw an effort come back of the post in the 97th minute.

But despite their dominance in the final few minutes, the Hatters could not end their wait for a first home win for new manager Nathan Jones.

The boss made two changes to the side that lost 2-0 at home to Notts County on Saturday, with Olly Lee and Joe Pigott replacing Jonathan Smith and Paddy McCourt, who both dropped to the bench.

Clear-cut opportunities were few and far between in the first half – but that’s not to say there weren’t chances for the Hatters. Craig Mackail-Smith tested Yeovil keeper Artur Krysiak with a 20-yard drive on nine minutes before Alex Lawless saw a goal-bound shot blocked two minutes later.

It wasn’t until half-time approached that Elliot Justham fumbled a long-range effort from Matthew Dolan with the visitors’ best chance – but the Town upped the ante as the half came to a close.  Mackail-Smith wormed his way into the box and saw a shot blocked and Pigott’s effort on the turn was also charged down by the Glovers defence.

Two minutes after the break McGeehan thundered a shot wide before Krysiak saved from Alex Lawless’ low shot on 52 minutes.

Krysiak then stopped a Stephen O’Donnell shot and from the resultant corner skipper Scott Cuthbert headed over from six yards. The Glovers keeper picked up an injury having collided with the Town skipper and had to be replaced by Chris Weale.

However, without truly testing Justham in the second period the visitors took the lead with 20 minutes to go. Walsh found space in the Town penalty area to get a shot away that was blocked. However, the Glovers midfielder was first to the second ball and he struck a low drive into the corner giving Justham no chance.

All of a sudden the visitors’ tails were up. Justham spilled a long-range effort two minutes later and on 73 minutes the Town keeper needed to be alert to turn away a swerving shot from the left-hand edge of the box from goalscorer Walsh as the visitors sensed a second.

As time ticked into the final 15 minutes Lee sent a well-hit effort just over for the Town but, with seven minutes left, the Hatters were level in sensational fashion. Lee’s left-wing corner was headed on by a Yeovil man to the unmarked Sheehan at the back-post and the defender lined-up a perfect left-footed volley that flew into the top corner of the net.

Now the Town were in the ascendency and, as seven added minutes were shown by the fourth official, a flurry of chances came their way.

In the second minute of added time O’Donnell’s shot was held by Weale after good work from substitute McCourt.

Then, unbelievably, on 97 minutes the Hatters somehow squandered the chance for a late, late winner. Paul Benson’s tame shot from close range was fumbled loose by Weale only for McGeehan – not knowing too much about the chance – saw the ball bounce off him and onto the post from inside the six-yard box.

Jack Marriott’s turn and left-foot shot flew wide on 97 minutes before McGeehan wasted the final, final chance of the night when blazing over from 15 yards after the Town had done well to pinch the ball back off the Yeovil.

And that was that.

Town: Justham; O’Donnell, Howells, Cuthbert, Sheehan; Lee, Lawless, McGeehan, Ruddock (sub McCourt 83), Mackail-Smith (sub Marriott 78), Pigott (sub Benson 90).

Subs: Tyler, Smith, Okuonghae, Banton.

Attendance: 7,538, including 132 from Yeovil.

Advertisement block

Hatters Player Next Match Tickets Account