Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


1 April 2013

Sponsored by

Boss' reaction to 2-1 defeat

John Still thought his side could have earned a point after the Town went down to a home defeat at the hands of league leaders Kidderminster Harriers at Kenilworth Road.

The Town twice hit the woodwork before Andre Gray's goal seven minutes before the end made it 2-1, but it was the two first half goals from the visitors that did the damage.

"It was a strange game," Still told Hatters Player afterwards. "They were a bit better than us in the first half. We had two good chances to score through Scott Rendell and they had three and scored from two of them.

"Fair play to Kidderminster. I thought they edged the first half without really dominating and we were disappointed to come in at half-time 2-0 down.

"The second half took a while to get going but we cranked up the pressure, we hit the bar again and then scored.

"We just need to be better in both boxes, because today I was disappointed with the way we defended ours. Recently that has been an area which we've done well in.

"I thought we done okay overall. We weren't great, but we were okay. Were we good enough to win? Definitely not. Were we good enough to get something? Maybe."

Leaders Harriers have missed out on the Play-Offs by one place in the last two seasons but Burr's side booked their spot in the top five with this victory.

Manager Steve Burr has been at the helm for three years and Still believes that was evident in Harriers' confidence and organisation.

"When you look at the bigger picture they are on a fine run, Steve's able to pick a settled team whilst we are changing things; both in terms of styles of play and personnel," said Still.

"Steve's been building this team for three years and that's where they are today. We're at the very start of our building process.

"As for our Play-Off chances I don't think it can ever be over until it's mathematically impossible but it is looking very difficult."

Still confirmed defender Steve McNulty was withdrawn in the first half due to ankle injury shortly after Kidderminster's second goal.

"I thought the lead up to that goal was a foul and Steve Burr said the same - but that's gone now," said Still. "But we took a bit of risk playing Macca and we've had to take him off but I thought Scott Griffiths did well on his debut even though he's not fully fit himself yet."

Advertisement block