Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 17:30 (UK)

Buy tickets
07 January 2023 Venue Kenilworth Road Attendance

Kick off 17:30 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English FA Cup

Advertisement block

Advertisement block


Commentary to begin soon

There are currently no key moments to display.

Are you sure you want to delete this event?

Delete Cancel

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Report | Luton Town 1-1 Wigan Athletic

7 January 2023

The Hatters and Wigan will meet again as this Emirates FA Cup third round tie finished all-square at Kenilworth Road.

Tom Naylor gave the visitors an early lead, but Harry Cornick's first goal of the season brought Town level in first-half injury-time and means the Hatters will now travel to the DW Stadium twice in five days later this month, with a replay due for Tuesday 17th January ahead of the second league meeting of the season on Saturday 21st.

Rob Edwards made four changes, with Reece Burke making his first start since late September after coming off the bench and scoring the winner against Huddersfield Town on New Year's Day.

Gabe Osho returned to the starting line-up following his recent two-match suspension, while Louie Watson kept his place in midfield and Cauley Woodrow made his fourth start of the season. 

Harry Cornick was the fourth change, replacing Elijah Adebayo who is celebrating his 25th birthday today and joining Carlton Morris up front.

Elliot Thorpe, recalled from his loan at Burton Albion, is amongst the substitutes and there is a first squad involvement for 17-year-old midfielder Jayden Luker. 

Republic of Ireland international James McClean had the game's first shot in the 13th minute, but was well off target, before Campbell broke down the right and crossed for Morris to head straight at Latics keeper Ben Amos a minute later.

Tom Naylor put Wigan in front in the 17th minute when he tapped in from close range, turning home Curtis Tilt's volley back into the six-yard box after Horvath had saved well from Callum Lang's initial header.

The Hatters enjoyed plenty of possession without penetrating the Wigan defence, Morris whipping in a deep cross from the left that was just too high for Cornick, who then raced clear but his attempted 37th-minute curler wouldn't come back enough to nestle inside the far post.

A minute later it was Morris meeting a Potts cross from the left, heading well over the bar, but Town were level in first-half injury-time, with top scorer Morris the provider.

The striker created space on the left byline and stood up an inviting cross for Cornick send a glancing header in off the far post, with his first goal of the season.

Edwards made two changes at the break, with Luke Berry on in midfield for Campbell and Adebayo coming on up front in place of Morris, but it was Wigan who came quickly out of the blocks, Lang volleying an Ashley Fletcher cross wide inside the first minute.

The Hatters' first threatening moment of the second period came on 53 minutes when Bree's centre eventually landed at Bell's feet, via a Woodrow lay-off, but the left wing-back couldn't find the target for a second game in a row, shooting tamely wide.

Also like at Huddersfield on New Year's Day, Burke was proving a real attacking threat down the right, overlapping Bree a couple of times to give the Hatters another outlet before he was replaced just after the hour by Alfie Doughty.

Town were dominating by this point, and the former Charlton and Stoke wideman soon danced his way to the right byline and clipped a cross to the far post, but Woodrow saw his shot deflected behind for a corner.

Cameron Jerome was the next attacking threat to be introduced with just over a quarter of an hour to go, goalscorer Cornick departing with valuable minutes in the bank, as the Hatters continued to set up camp in the Wigan half.

He was joined moments later by Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu, replacing Watson who left the field to a rapturous reception after another impressive start at the base of the Town midfield.

In a rare foray into the Town half, Wigan had the ball in the back of the net when Horvath took a heavy tough and was closed down by Lang, athough referee David Webb had already blown for a foul before the Latics' front man finished from a tight angle.

Sub Thelo Aasgaard, scorer of the late winning goal when Wigan won the league game here earlier in the season, shot straight at Horvath with five minutes to go, then the visitors were quickly needing to defend again when Doughty drilled a free-kick in towards the near post.

Deep into the five additional minutes, Horvath made a superb save to deny goalscorer Naylor, before Wigan had the ball in the net after a scramble, but their joy was short-lived with an offside decision.

The result means ball number 15 in tomorrow's fourth round draw, due to take place at 4.05pm in the build-up to Manchester City v Chelsea, will represent both clubs.


WA - Naylor 17

LT - Cornick 45+2'

Att: 5,660 (290 away)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Hatters Player Next Match Tickets Account