Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 14:00 (UK)

03 December 2017 Venue Gateshead International Stadium Attendance

Kick off 14:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English FA Cup

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews


2 December 2017

The Hatters head to Gateshead tomorrow looking to reach the third round of the Emirates FA Cup for the second consecutive season under manager Nathan Jones.

Town were 1-0 victors over Portsmouth in the first round, whilst the Tynesiders beat Buxton in the last qualifying round, before defeating Chelmsford City.

The Town could hardly go into the game in better form, having only been defeated once in their last 17 games, with Gateshead picking up two wins in their last four league games.


On facing Gateshead: "They will be a real test. In all we have watched six games of theirs. We usually watch five, but we have watched six because we have had a little bit of time, to be able to do that with the extra day.

"They have got some real good midfield players, they have got wide ones that cause you problems. We're well aware of their threats, but we also pose a significant threat ourselves, so that's what we will be concentrating more on. Just to reiterate, there will be no elements of lethargy in our preparation and hopefully none in our play.

"It would be wrong for me to single anyone out and give them a gee up in any way, but they have some real sound midfield players. Link players, that can get on the ball and want to play, and that's going to be diffocult. They are quite an expansive, good footballing side under Steve Watson, which you'd expect, and if they are a reflection of their manager, he was a fantastic player and a real combative player, so they'll have those characteristics. It's going to be a test."

On facing former Hatter JJ O'Donnell: "To be fair we've come up against a few of those lately in terms of players at Stevenage and Wycombe playing against their old club, and we've had favourable results. Let's hope we can do that again. I'm not concerned with any of Gateshead's players' ideal game. I just want my team to do well and play to the best of their ability, and if we do that we'll be reasonably confident.

"What happens on days like this is the so-called underdog will raise its game. The favourite, or the more fancied team, will not be at its best, and then certain things like conditions on the day and adrenaline comes into play, and that's when adverse results happen. What we have to make sure is that we take out all the variables, make sure we turn up, we are right at it and make sure we play to the best of our ability. If we do that, it takes a good side to beat us and if Gateshead do that and they are better than us on the day, we'll hold our hands up."

On new Gateshead boss Steve Watson, the former Newcastle and Everton player: "He's got great pedigree as a player. He's a legend up there. I remember watching him. I never played against him. I never played at that level myself, so if his team are a reflection of him they are going to be a real tricky tie."

On team selection with the Checkatrade Trophy tie v West Ham U21s following on Tuesday: "We'll go as strong as we possibly can in both games. We have a fantastic squad here that we

keep waxing about, saying it's a good squad, so they are going to be tested over these next three games in six days. But that's why we asked the board and the club to back us in that kind of way. It's for moments like these. That's why I say to the players, 'We are competing on three fronts so you need to be right at it'. And now we'll see because our squad will be tested this week. Hopefully we can come through it."


Managed by former Newcastle United and Everton midfielder Steve Watson, the Tynesiders find themselves in 15th after 22 games in the Vanarama National League. A mixed bag of results under the 43-year-old, convincing wins against Leyton Orient and Maidenhead have come in amongst narrow defeats to Eastleigh and Barrow.


Kick-off is at 2pm on Sunday 3rd December at the Gateshead International Stadium.


It's all pay on the day for the second round tie at the International Stadium, with prices: Adults – £15, Concessions (60+ years) – £8, Students & 16-17-yo – £5, U16s – £3.


All but one of the Hatters' 11 matches against the Tynesiders have come in the Conference, with the Town only losing twice in those outings. The last of those meetings came in December 2013 when Alex Lawless netted twice in a 4-2 win at Kenilworth Road. In total, Town have won five, drawn four and lost twice against Gateshead.


You can follow the Hatters' Twitter feed on @LutonTown, or stay up to date on the LTFC website in the match centre. iFollow Hatters subscribers can tune in for Simon Pitts' match commentary, but international subscribers cannot watch the game live on this occasion as it is a cup match that doesn't come under iFollow Hatters terms.

Advertisement block

Match Reports


Hatters through to third round with comfortable win at Heed

3 December 2017

The Hatters made it through to the third round of the Emirates FA Cup for the second successive season under Nathan Jones with a comfortable 5-0 win at Vanarama National League side Gateshead this afternoon.

Town had Olly Lee and his brother Elliot on target together again, either side of Dan Potts' sixth goal of the season, before Danny Hylton and Luke Berry added injury-time efforts as they turned in a thoroughly professional performance at the International Stadium.

Jones made one change from the team that started last week's game at Crewe, bringing midfielder Andrew Shinnie back into the starting XI after his impressive performance from the bench at Gresty Road, in place of Harry Cornick, who was suffering from a hamstring strain and wasn't risked.

The Town dominated possession for most of the opening exchanges, but had to wait until the 13th minute for their first sight of goal when Potts met Alan Sheehan's right-wing corner with a far-post header that home keeper Dan Hanford blocked at point-blank range.

Potts met the subsequent corner again, this time nodding back across goal for Glen Rea to head on target, then – on 15 minutes – Olly Lee crossed from the right for Berry, who couldn't keep his volley down from 12 yards.

Berry then turned provider, picking Shinnie out with an angled pass from the right side of the penalty box, but the Scot's low shot was kept out by a combination of Hanford and Heed captain Neill Byrne sliding in.

Marek Stech had been a virtual spectator for the opening 20 minutes, but the Czech keeper had to be off his line quickly to deny Danny Johnson as Gateshead's top scorer bundled his way into the Town box.

Johnson had the next effort on goal too, just after the half-hour, as a long ball forward from centre-half Fraser Kerr found him on the Hatters' 18-yard line. He fired that one high over the bar onto the athletics track behind Stech's goal, but his next shot on 36 minutes had the Town keeper scrambling across his line to ensure it fizzed just past his left-hand post.

Gateshead were enjoying a good spell, and Stech's handling was impeccable when Jordan Burrow met Luke Hannant's right-wing cross with a powerful header, but within seconds the Town had the lead.

There seemed little danger when Sheehan's ball into Berry was deflected back towards Hanford via a defender's head, but the Gateshead keeper collided with his own defender Scott Barrow and dropped the ball, only resulting in scooping it to the edge of the box straight to Olly Lee.

The Hatters midfielder made no mistake in curling his effort around the keeper and Barrow, who was lying on the ground, and past a defender on the line to make it 1-0.

There was a 15-minute hold-up as Barrow received treatment before being carried off on a stretcher and into an ambulance, with what was clearly a worrying injury.

As play resumed, the Hatters survived a scare when Johnson looked to turn a deep corner from Paddy McLaughlin in at the far post, but Potts was there to clear off the line.

The Town started the second half in the ascendancy, Stacey whipping a ball in from the right although Berry couldn't keep his 18-yard shot down, then Shinnie let fly with one from a bit further out, that Hanford was right behind.

Gateshead soon made a double substitution, and after McLaughlin saw a 25-yarder travel all the way along the ground to safety behind the goal, one of the subs – Jordan Preston – cut in from the left and drew a routine save from Stech with a powerful right-footed shot.

The Town doubled their lead in the 63rd minute when Shinnie skipped past Jamal Fyfield on the right-wing and stood up a lovely cross to the far post, where Potts – as has become the norm this season – rose highest to direct his header back past Farman and just inside the post.

It was three within four minutes, as Olly Lee pulled the trigger from the edge of the box, but his shot was blocked and fell invitingly into his brother's path 16 yards out. The 22-year-old made no mistake in dispatching it past Hanford for his sixth goal of the season.

Jones made an immediate double substitution, bringing the Lee brothers off and replacing them with Jordan Cook and Luke Gambin.

Then, after Stech had dealt comfortably with another Preston shot from distance, the Welshman introduced Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu for Rea.

The hosts didn't give up and they hit the woodwork twice in the space of 30 seconds in the 78th minute when Johnson rattled the cross bar and McLaughlin hit the foot of the post.

But the Town quickly countered and should have gone four to the good when Berry beat Hanford to the ball, latching onto a pass from Hylton as the Hatters broke from their own box, but found his shot blocked by a retreating defender.

Hylton did add a fourth, a minute into time added on, when Cook burst into the left side of the penalty area and sent a low ball across the six-yard box for Hylton to steer it home for his 13th goal of the campaign, and fifth in his last five matches.

Three minutes later Berry added a fifth - making it five in a Town shirt now for the former Cambridge man - after good work on the right by Mpanzu, who got to the byline and cut back for the midfielder to take a touch and curl into the roof of the net from 15 yards.

The Town were safely through to the third round with a comprehensive win, taking their recent goal tally to 17 in four straight wins, and extending the unbeaten sequence to six with just one defeat in their last 18 matches.

They will be ball number 56 in Monday night's draw, which will be screened live on BBC2 and BT Sport at 7pm.

TOWN: Stech, Stacey, Mullins, Sheehan, Potts ©, Rea (Mpanzu 74), O Lee (Gambin 69), Berry, Shinnie, Hylton, E Lee (Cook 69). Subs: Justin, Senior, D'Ath, Shea (GK)

Yellows: Rea, Hylton

Goals: O Lee 41, Potts 63, E Lee 67, Hylton 90+1, Berry 90+4

GATESHEAD: Hanford, Tinkler, Kerr, Byrne ©, Barrow (Fyfield 45+11), Hannant, Maxwell (Preston 53), McLaughlin, Johnson, Burrow, O'Donnell (Peniket 54). Subs: Montgomery (GK), Vassell, York, Williams

Yellow: Fyfield


REFEREE: Ben Toner

ATTENDANCE: 1,339 (381 Hatters)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Hatters Player Next Match Tickets Account