Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Luton Town 3-3 Huddersfield Town

4 October 2022

Match Reports

Report | Luton Town 3-3 Huddersfield Town

4 October 2022

Sponsored by

The Hatters had to settle for a point after conceding two own goals and a penalty against struggling Huddersfield at Kenilworth Road, despite Elijah Adebayo breaking his duck for the season with a brace.

Jordan Clark was also on the scoresheet for the first time this term to put Town 3-2 up at the break, but after a Carlton Morris own goal and a Jordan Rhodes spot-kick had twice given the Terriers the lead, Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu put through his own net to level things again with 20 minutes to go.

Seven years on from his Hatters debut, Dan Potts led the team out as captain on his 200th appearance for the club in the first clash with Huddersfield since the Terriers beat Town in last season's Sky Bet Championship play-off semi-final.

Nathan Jones made one change from the 2-0 away win against Hull City on Friday night, with the injured Reece Burke replaced by Fred Onyedinma.

Development Squad youngsters Casey Pettit and Zack Nelson were amongst the substitutes as Town went in search of a third league win in a row. 

Morris had the Town's first attempt on goal when he met James Bree's free-kick with a far post header that keeper Lee Nicholls pushed away.

The Town striker was then credited with Huddersfield's opening goal, Sorba Thomas' whipped in corner found its way inside the far post, apparently taking a glance off Morris' head en route.

The Hatters were level within seven minutes and again Morris was in the thick of the action, bringing Ethan Horvath's drilled goal-kick under instant control and driving at the retreating Huddersfield backline and crossing for Adebayo, who tricked his way past Luke Mbete and sent a shot at goal that was helped over the line by visiting defender Michal Helik.

Jordan Clark extended Nicholls with a 20-yard rasper in the 23rd minute after his midfield partner Allan Campbell had teed him up with a square pass, then Lockyer headed another Bree free-kick at goal on the half-hour, with visiting keeper Nicholls gathering by his right post.

Huddersfield retook the lead in the 32nd minute when Potts was penalised for handball in the box when Helik's header hit his outstretched arm, and Rhodes tucked the penalty away.

There was no doubting that Adebayo's second goal was his, last season's top scorer latching onto another pass over the top from Morris, outstrengthing Mbete before holding off the challenge of Helik to slip his right-footed shot past Nicholls.

Town then began to exert control, Clark seeing another shot deflected narrowly wide before he added the Hatters' third a minute into time added on.

Bree was the architect, winning a challenge ten yards inside his own half then drivinig forward on the right, beating three men before threading a deft pass into the box for Clark.

There was an element of fortune as Mbete couldn't sort his feet out and could only help it into the path of Clark, who jinked past his man and placed a left-footed shot into the bottom corner for his first goal of the season.

Duane Holmes looked likely in the opening exchanges of the second half and fired a cross-shot that fizzed through the six-yard box, but it was Potts who had the Town's first chance just after the hour, heading a Bree corner down into the ground, with the ball bouncing up onto the roof of the net.

Onyedinma carried a continual threat down the right and Nicholls had to be alert to push his cross-shot away, then the visitors survived appeals for a penalty as the flying right-wing-back went down under a challenge from Ben Jackson.

But Huddersfield were level again with 20 minutes left when another Thomas corner found its way into the Town net via a home head, with Mpanzu this time getting the final touch.

Adebayo missed out on a hat-trick twice when rising highest to meet Bree corners from the left, the second with Nicholls stranded, and he made way for Cornick with ten minutes remaining. Sonny Bradley made his return from injury at the same time, coming on in place of Onyedinma.

Town had chances to win it, Campbell heading over from a Morris knock-back and Cornick firing straight at Nicholls with 90 minutes almost up, but there was to be no way through with a draw extending the unbeaten run to three matches.



LT - Adebayo 18', 37', Clark 45+1'

HT - Morris (OG) 10', Rhodes (pen) 32', Mpanzu (OG) 70'

Att: 9,073 (308 away)

Advertisement block

Hatters Player Next Match Tickets Account