Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Swansea City 0-2 Luton Town

20 August 2022

Match Reports

Report | Swansea City 0-2 Luton Town

20 August 2022

Sponsored by

The Hatters picked up their first win of the season with a perfect away performance at Swansea, with a goal in each half from Allan Campbell and Carlton Morris sealing all three points.

It was the third time in four seasons that manager Nathan Jones has masterminded a victory without conceding at the Liberty Stadium, with Morris netting his first goal since his summer move from Barnsley to seal the maximum haul.

Jones had made four changes from the side that lost 2-0 at Bristol City in midweek, and got his reward with a magnificent display.

Tom Lockyer came into defence to make his first league start of the season, while Jordan Clark and Luke Freeman started in midfield having come off the bench at Ashton Gate, and Admiral Muskwe partnered Elijah Adebayo in attack - making his first league start since February.

Dan Potts took captain responsibility in the absence of Sonny Bradley, who was missing due to a personal issue, as the Hatters went in search of their first victory of the season.

Lockyer was soon in the thick of the action, producing a perfectly timed block in the penalty area to repel Joel Piroe's shot, but after an initial spell of Swansea possession, the Hatters forward line and midfield were enjoying some reward for their high press.

First Campbell won the ball in midfield and played Adebayo into the box, but centre-half Harry Darling did just enough to hold the striker up and he chopped back inside him.

Next time the former Walsall man got the ball, just before the quarter-of-an-hour mark, he did well to stay on his feet under challenge from Ben Cabango by the right byline, and his attempted cut-back was turned behind for a corner.

From Freeman's set-piece came the breakthrough, home keeper Andy Fisher punching the inswinging delivery out as far as the edge of the box, where Campbell slammed it back past him with his left foot.

Potts, who had already had joy winning two headers at set pieces, climbed highest to send another Freeman cross, this time from the left, towards the bottom corner of the hosts' net, only for a flying Fisher to save low to his right.

Another chance came on 27 minutes when Muskwe robbed Nathan Wood 40 yards from goal and drove forward, arrowing a left-footed angled shot in that Fisher did well to hold.

Swansea looked for a way back in, but for all their possession Ethan Horvath wasn't tested before the break, with the American goalkeeper coming to collect a couple of crosses to chants from the travelling fans of 'U...S...A', while Lockyer, Burke and Potts headed everything else clear and Freeman got a crucial block in to deflect a Joe Allen volley behind for a corner.

Town were worthy of their half-time lead, and Swansea manager Russell Martin used the interval to make his first change, bringing Kyle Naughton on to play left-back in a four, with Wood - who had been playing on the right of a back three - making way.

The hosts continued to pass, pass, pass - but apart from a shot that Ryan Manning drilled into the ground and was deflected well wide, then an attempted curler from 25 yards that went the same way, there was no real threat.

Jones chose the hour mark to make a triple change, Adebayo, Muskwe and Freeman replaced by Carlton Morris, Cameron Jerome and Gabe Osho.

With Campbell pressing high again, Morris was almost in straight away, but the striker couldn't quite sort his feet out before Cabango pinched the ball off him 18 yards out.

Potts timed an interception perfectly to deny Michael Obafemi the opportunity to latch onto a 66th-minute through ball from Naughton, then Martin made his second switch, replacing Matty Sorinola with Cameron Congreve.

The sub's first contribution came with a 68th-minute shot from distance that Horvath was right behind, but soon it was a Town game changer, Morris, who was threatening twice at the other end, fashioning space in the box to unleash a left-footer that Fisher gathered at the second attempt.

Morris finally got his reward in the 72nd minute after some tireless tracking from Campbell, who intercepted a ball intended for Grimes in the right-back area, clipped it forward to Jerome, who turned his man before playing a beautiful pass with the outside of his boot to Morris.

The ex-Barnsley forward tricked his way past his man in the edge of the box and flashed a left-footed shot past Fisher into the far corner of the net for his first Hatters goal.

Piroe wasted a glorious chance to put the Swans back into it on 76 minutes, heading third sub Ollie Cooper's deep cross straight at Horvath when unmarked six yards out.

After that there was little threat from the Welsh side, as the Hatters backline - led by the magnificent Potts and Lockyer, who didn't miss a thing all day - saw it through.



LT - Campbell 14, Morris 72

ATT: 16,323 (609 Hatters)


Advertisement block

Hatters Player Next Match Tickets Account