Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Luton Town 3-3 Swansea City

Hatters throw away a three-goal lead to draw for the fourth match running

18 September 2021

Match Reports

Report | Luton Town 3-3 Swansea City

Hatters throw away a three-goal lead to draw for the fourth match running

18 September 2021

Sponsored by

The Hatters drew for a fourth game in a row this afternoon as Swansea City came back from 3-0 down at half-time to grab a point in injury-time.

It was the third Town match in a row that has ended all-square with a goal in added time, but this time the boot was on the other foot after the Hatters had fought back from behind to take a point in their previous two.

Manager Nathan Jones made two changes to the side that drew 1-1 at Bristol City on Wednesday night, with Gabe Osho coming into the side after he was an unused substitute in midweek, replacing Amari’i Bell, and Adebayo partnering with Harry Cornick up-front after impressing from the bench at Ashton Gate.

There was a late change to the teamsheet for the third game in a row, midweek goal hero Danny Hylton pulling up in the warm-up and being replaced by youth team player of the year Aidan Francis-Clarke, the 17-year-old defender being included in the senior squad for the first time.

Town started on the front foot, Harry Cornick and Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu making inroads to the Swansea defence, before Kal Naismith set the former away with a beautiful ball over the top with the outside of his left foot.

Cornick's cross was turned behind for the Town's second corner of the opening four minutes, but the Hatters had begun in a real positive manner - and that was underlined in the seventh minute when Cornick launched a long throw from the right, Swansea headed half clear and Berry was there to send a scissor-kick volley flying past Ben Hamer in the City net.

Adebayo had a glorious chance to double the lead, firing over the bar left footed after Town's high press had won the ball for Henri Lansbury to find the striker.

By the 15th minute he had done exactly that, this time from the penalty spot after Cornick had once again pressed Kyle Naughton high up the pitch, pinched the pall off the central defender before being tripped just inside the area. Adebayo stepped up and dispatched the ball into the top corner for his second goal of the season.

He soon had his third, rounding off a great move that started with Naismith pinging a diagonal ball from left to right to find Bree, who took it in his stride and slid a cross right along the face of goal for Adebayo to force home at the far post.

Swansea had seen a free-kick from Liam Walsh fly high and wide in between Adebayo's pair, but the Hatters were well in control and winning the ball back almost every time the Welshmen tried to play out.

There was a yellow card apiece for Lansbury and Swansea left-back Ryan Manning, who kicked the ball away as the Town midfielder went to take a free-kick, but ended up being on the receiving end of a Lansbury's swing.

Adebayo spurned a glorious chance for his hat-trick in the 34th minute when he raced onto Gabe Osho's ball over the top, but saw his chip over the advancing Hamer go agonisingly wide of the far post, just ahead of strike partner Cornick.

The visitors had a chance to reduce the arrears in first half injury-time, but Jamie Paterson's effort from Ethan Laird's right-wing cut-back was well wide and the Hatters went into the interval with a three-goal cushion.

Swansea boss Russell Martin made all three changes at the break, replacing and they came out on the front foot, Michael Obafemi firing just over and Paterson rattling the crossbar in the opening three minutes.

But Town were soon in the ascendency once more, Osho crossing from the left and opposite wing-back Bree racing in to volley narrowly wide of the far post.

It should have been four in the 58th minute when Mpanzu did wonderfully well on the left to win the ball and beat two players, then feed Adebayo inside. The two-goal striker unselfishly played Cornick in to his right, but he was denied a third goal of the season by the post, with Hamer gratefully in the right place to gather Bree's overhead kick from the rebound.

Jones introduced Clark in place of Berry, who left the field to a standing ovation just after the hour, but it was the Swans who halved the deficit in the 63rd minute, Paterson's 20-yard half-volley taking two deflections off Burke and Naismith to wong-foot Sluga, who did well to get a hand to the ball, but couldn't get back in time to prevent it going over the line.

Piroe steered a near post volley over the bar, then fired high and wide from the left angle of the area with 15 minutes to go as City looked to get further back into things.

Jones, meanwhile, withdrew Cornick and threw on the experience of Cameron Jerome in a bid to see out the last quarter of an hour.

That task was made more difficult with five minutes left, however, when Ntcham hit a bullet of a shot from 25 yards that flew past Sluga into the top corner, via another wicked deflection off Mpanzu.

Two minutes into injury-time the visitors were level, the ball being worked across the edge of the box to Piroe, who curled a left-footer into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.


Hatters - Berry 7, Adebayo 15 (pen), 23

City - Paterson 63, Ntcham 85, Piroe 90+2

Attendance: 9,721 (831 away)

Advertisement block

Hatters Player Next Match Tickets Account