Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report | Sheffield Wednesday 1-2 Town

29 July 2023

Club News

Report | Sheffield Wednesday 1-2 Town

29 July 2023

Sponsored by

Sheffield Wednesday 1
Smith (pen) 8

Town 2
Mpanzu 23, Morris 82

Carlton Morris’ winner saw the Town fight back from a goal down to earn a deserved pre-season friendly victory at Hillsborough.

The Hatters were behind to an early Michael Smith penalty but were level by the break thanks to Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu’s excellent curling equaliser.

Rob Edwards’ side created but spurned a host of chances as they dominated a Wednesday side who begin their Championship campaign next Friday.

But Morris, who was introduced with 15 minutes left, tapped home within six minutes of his introduction to give the Hatters a win on the road.

It all started in the eighth minute when Nakamba clipped Callum Paterson in the box and Smith converted the resultant spot-kick despite a strong hand from James Shea.

But after the early set-back the Hatters went onto the boss the remainder of the first 45 minutes.

Their first chance came on 11 minutes when a direct Alfie Doughty free-kick was beaten away by Wednesday keeper Cameron Dawson but, with their second effort the Hatters were level. A throw from the left flank saw Tatith Chong feed Mpaznu and the midfielder curled a delightful shot across Dawson’s outstretched glove into the bottom corner.

Level, the Town continued to press and, as half-time approached, the chances continued to flow. Doughty pinched the ball high up the pitch to tee up Woodrow who drove a shot wide on 35 minutes and, four minutes later, Mpanzu snatched a shot wide following Mads Andersen’s header back across goal.

The Owls could have retaken the lead five minutes before the break but Juan Delgado couldn’t beat Shea despite being given the freedom of the Town penalty area.

Back came the Town. A wonderful, slick one-touch passing move saw Chong square to Chiedozie Obgene but he failed to properly test Dawson and a minute before the interval Woodrow lashed a shot into the side-netting.

The Hatters made five changes at the interval, and they almost took the lead inside the first 60 seconds of the restart when Doughty – now on the right – crossed for Luke Berry who sent a first-time shot inches wide of the target.

Doughty and Berry combined once more on 55 minutes in similar fashion – the former racing down the right to find the latter who took a few touches before firing wide of the same post.

The Hatters continued to create chances and Ogbene wasn’t far away with a crisp drive from 15 yards, the ball bouncing agonisingly wide of the target.

Elijah Adebayo was introduced just after the hour and he teed up fellow sub Allan Campbell to test keeper Dawson on 69 minutes after a left-wing from new signing Ryan Giles.

As time ticked down you thought the Hatters might have to settle for a draw but Morris had other ideas when, with eight minutes left, he struck for the second match running. Campbell and Adebayo combined down the right and the former squared a pass into the box for Town number nine to tap home from six yards.

That was the final action of an entertaining 90 minutes and up next for the Town this pre-season is a trip to Molineux to face Wolves on Wednesday.

See you then.

Town first half: Shea; Kaboré, Doughty, Andersen, Lockyer, Bell; Nakamba, Mpanzu, Chong; Woodrow, Obgene.

Second half: Shea; Doughty, Giles, Andersen, Lockyer, Potts; Clark, Campbell, Berry; Woodrow (sub Morris 76), Ogbene (sub Adebayo 61).


Advertisement block

Hatters Player Next Match Tickets Account