Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Glen Rea returns from Wigan loan after suffering knee injury

Hatters midfielder to undergo surgery after seeing consultant this week

17 March 2022

Sponsored by

We are sorry to start a loan round-up with some sad news, but we can confirm that midfielder Glen Rea has returned to Kenilworth Road after suffering a serious knee injury during his spell with Wigan Athletic.

The Town midfielder made four appearances after joining the Latics on transfer deadline day in January, with the aim of playing a key role in their push for automatic promotion from Sky Bet League One.

After his debut against Stoke in the FA Cup fourth round, he then appeared twice as a substitute before starting against AFC Wimbledon a fortnight ago. Sadly, Glen was forced off after 15 minutes of the win over the Dons and has this week seen a consultant ahead of planned surgery.

We would like to stress that this isn't the same knee that Glen injured during the 2018-19 League One title-winning season, when he fought back to full fitness to return to the team in the Championship and play 71 times for the Hatters since.

Good luck to Glen, who knows he will have the full support of everyone at Kenilworth Road throughout his rehab and is determined to once again return stronger than ever.

Elsewhere, Dion Pereira made his eagerly anticipated Bradford debut on the weekend before starting again in midweek, helping the Bantams to two successive wins.

Injury up until this point had delayed Dion’s introduction as a Bradford player, but after featuring in victories against Forest Green Rovers and Hartlepool United, Mark Hughes’ side have climbed to 13th in the League Two table.

Elliot Lee got the better of his brother Olly in midweek as Charlton beat Gillingham 1-0 at The Valley. The attacker was introduced in the 66th minute as the Addicks extended the gap between themselves and the League One drop zone to 10 points.

There was disappointment in the National League as Sam Beckwith and Maidenhead were on the receiving end of late heartbreak at the weekend away at Woking, as the left-back played 90 minutes for the seventh match in a row.

Avan Jones was a late substitute as St Albans City suffered a cruel 2-1 defeat against Billericay Town on Tuesday evening, whilst Ben Stevens and Hitchin Town also lost and were knocked out of the Herts Senior Cup after Cheshunt FC scored twice in extra-time.

Finally, Casey Pettit played the full 90 minutes as Lewes were forced to settle with a point against Haringey Borough. The youngster will look to help the Rooks get back to winning ways when they face Bishop’s Stortford at home this Saturday.

Advertisement block