Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report | Luton Town 0-1 Preston North End

13 August 2022

Match Reports

Report | Luton Town 0-1 Preston North End

13 August 2022

Sponsored by

The Hatters suffered a first league defeat of the season at Kenilworth Road this afternoon as Preston North End left with all three points courtesy of a first-half Brad Potts goal.

Nathan Jones made two changes from last weekend's draw against Burnley, with Reece Burke brought in for his first league start of the season.

Carlton Morris came into attack to partner Elijah Adebayo, with Harry Cornick missing out through injury.

Luke Berry and Henri Lansbury were also sidelined, meaning youngsters Louie Watson and Elliot Thorpe were amongst the substitutes after impressing in the Carabao Cup during the week.

The Hatters had the first sight of goal on 11 minutes, Morris climbing highest to meet Luke Freeman's free-kick, but his header was straight at visiting keeper Freddie Woodman.

North End took the lead seven minutes later when Brad Potts finished Robbie Brady's cross with an acrobatic volley, for his side's first league goal of the campaign.

The Hatters mounted a response, with Adebayo and Allan Campbell linking up, but the Scottish midfielder's shot was blocked by Jordan Storey, before the game was halted by referee Dean Whitestone for a drinks break midway through the half.

Just after the half-hour Amari'i Bell and Dan Potts combined down the left for the latter to cross into the six-yard box, and Jordan Clark's follow-up volley at goal, as Preston half-cleared, was deflected high into the air by Liam Lindsay, forcing Woodman to tip over by the joint of post and crossbar.

Ben Whiteman became the first into the book for pulling Freeman back as the midfielder looked to launch a Hatters attack just inside the Preston half in the 40th minute.

But the next attempt was also from the visitors, as Horvath had to dive low to his right to keep out a 43rd-minute shot from Brady as a minute's applause for North End supporter Joseph Hughes, who sadly passed away at the age of 43 on Thursday, drew to a close.

Morris whipped in a dangerous cross looking for Bell in first-half injury-time, but Woodman punched clear and Preston went in at the break with the advantage.

Town came out after half-time in search of a leveller and there was a shout for a penalty when Adebayo went down in the area having been barged to the ground by Potts when looking to get on the end of a Jordan Clark cross, but ref Whitestone wasn't for moving.

Potts was proving a threat at the other end too, and his cross-shot had Horvath scrambling in the 55th minute, but thankfully the ball flashed past the far post.

Adebayo led an attack down the right, but his cut-back from the byline only found a Preston defender, whose clearance was deflected behind off Morris for a goal-kick, to sum up the Town's frustrations.

It was end-to-end by this point, Horvath gathering a Brady free-kick before Clark tried his luck from distance, but didn't connect properly.

Jones made his first changes just after the hour, bringing Elliot Thorpe on for his league debut in place of Potts, while Cauley Woodrow was thrown into the attack in place of Freeman.

The next opening didn't arrive until the 72nd minute whe Clark crossed from the left for Morris, but the big striker couldn't direct his header on target, then Thorpe crossed from the right for Adebayo, whose knock down landed at the feet of Campbell, who sliced his volley wide.

Ref Whitestone showed Woodman a yellow card in the 77th minute for time-wasting, delaying the taking of a free-kick, and Hughes joined him in the book ten minutes from time for a cynical foul on Adebayo that presented Bree with a chance from 20 yards.

His free-kick was on target, but diverted behind by the head of Whiteman and North End dealt with the resulting corner.

Woodrow had the Hatters' best chance in the 83rd minute, latching onto Bree's clip over the top but unable to keep his volley down with Woodman stranded off his line.

Storey and substitute Daniel Johnson were the next two Preston players to be booked, the first for a foul and second for time-wasting, before Adebayo slipped his man in the box but couldn't keep his left-footed shot down.

Horvath had to be alert to save from Troy Parrott as the clock ticked down, then Clark saw a shot deflected well wide at the other end as the Hatters sought a late way back into things.

Jones threw Cameron Jerome into the attack in injury-time, in place of Campbell, but there was to be no way back and the Hatters head to Bristol City on Tuesday still seeking a first win of the campaign.



PNE - Potts 18

ATT: 9,740 (895 away)

Advertisement block

Hatters Player Next Match Tickets Account