Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Junior Report | Luton Town 1-1 Sheffield United

29 August 2022

Club News

Junior Report | Luton Town 1-1 Sheffield United

29 August 2022

Sponsored by

Luton Town locked horns with Sheffield United under the Kenilworth Road lights for the sixth game of the EFL Championship season.

The hatters were coming off the back of a great 0-2 win away at Swansea City and were looking to keep up this good run.

Luton started the better team with chances for strikers Carlton Morris and Elijah Adebayo. Allan Campbell was running the Sheffield United midfield ragged doing his usual superb work.

It only took ten minutes for a goal to come, and it was for the home side! It came from a throw in from the left-hand side which was cleared back to Amari’i Bell and Carlton Morris rose highest to his brilliant cross and fired it into the back of the net to give Luton Town the lead. 

The Sheffield United players were showing a lot of aggression throughout the first half. George Baldock and James McAtee were both booked within the first twenty-five minutes.

Luke Freeman and Jordan Clark were both excellent for the hatters and were both turning the Sheffield United defence inside out. 

In the thirty fifth minute, there was a minute’s applause for huge hatters fan Mat Westwood who passed away on Sunday at just thirty-five years old. 

Luton kept causing problems for Sheffield United but nothing else came in the remainder of the first half and the score at half time was 1-0.

Sheffield United came out in the second half as a different team, immediately putting pressure on the Luton back line.

Sheffield United soon equalised. A ball was whipped in and it was flicked on by John Egan to Oli McBurnie who’s volley found the back of the net in style. This was his first goal since December 2020.

Elijah Adebayo came close for Luton but his shot trickled wide of the post. Wes Foderingham was called into action later after a good effort from Allan Campbell then the rebound by Carlton Morris. 

Elijah Adebayo almost put Nathan Jones’ side back ahead after his header looped over the crossbar. With just over ten minutes plus injury time to play, Sheffield United were forced into a change after goalkeeper Wes Foderingham went back down injured. Jordan Amissah came on to replace him.

Cameron Jerome had a great chance in injury time when the ball was played wide to the left for Jerome but his shot was well saved by Jordan Amissah. The game finished 1-1.

A good result for both teams as two great teams come away with a point each. The Hatters travel back to south Wales to face Cardiff City next Tuesday. 

Advertisement block

Hatters Player Next Match Tickets Account