Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report | Luton Town 1-1 Huddersfield Town

Shares are spoiled in an entertaining game at Kenilworth Road...

6 February 2021

Sponsored by

Naby Sarr’s late equaliser for Huddersfield cancelled out James Collins’ early goal to give the Hatters a point in a game that they will feel was theirs for the taking.

The Hatters started on the front with Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall finding space down the left-side of the area, before Matty Pearson’s deflected cross bounced into the path of Jordan Clark, but his header was gathered by ‘keeper Ryan Schofield.

The Town took the lead in the eleventh minute through James Collins. Dewsbury-Hall intercepted Huddersfield’s pass out from the back, heading into Pelly Ruddock-Mpanzu who found Cornick down the right, delivering low into the path of Collins who tapped home for his seventh of the season.

Luton continued to put pressure on Huddersfield’s build-up play in a game where both sides struggled to find cutting edge in the final third.

Two minutes before half-time and the Town came within a whisker of doubling their advantage. Mpanzu charged down the right after Huddersfield’s clearance from a corner, clipping in deep to find Potts who headed against the post.

That proved to be the last action of a relatively quiet first-half where the Hatters took a deserved lead and came close to securing a second.

Huddersfield made one change at half-time, bringing on former Newcastle winger Rolando Aarons in place of Isaac Mbenza.

The Terrier’s sparked into life in the early stages of the second half, with Spanish right-back Pipa firing a shot from distance that went just wide of Simon Sluga’s right post.

A minute later and the visitors came close again. Harry Toffolo fired a cross in after beating Cornick down the left flank, with the Hatters managing to clear after a scramble at the front-post.

Huddersfield continued to create the better chances of the second-half as the Hatters were pushed back. Jordan Clark lost possession of the halfway line with Huddersfield releasing Juninho Bacuna down the left flank whose shot from a tight angle hit the side netting.

Twenty minutes into the second period and the Hatters created their first opportunity of the half. Lockyer dispossessed Bacuna on the halfway line, with Collins releasing Mpanzu in behind, but his shot from the edge of the box sailed over the bar.

With sixteen minutes remaining Huddersfield equalised after a strong second-half showing. Bacuna’s low in-swinging free kick from the left was saved by Sluga and turned in by Naby Sarr at the back post.

Huddersfield continued to create chances as the Hatters gave away possession cheaply down the left, finding new signing Duane Holmes free in the box, but his effort on the stretch was saved comfortably by Sluga.

Mpanzu once again came close to scoring with ten minutes remaining after substitute Glen Rea found Luton’s longest serving player on the edge of the box who turned and powered forwards, with Sarr blocking his shot well and deflecting over the bar.

Luton continued to press forwards late on having been on the back foot for most of the half. This time Clark and Dan Potts combined down the left flank, with the former finding Collins racing across goal at the front post, only for his flick to be deflected behind by Huddersfield stopper Schofield.

Huddersfield’s Harry Toffolo was sent off for a high tackle on Glen Rea in stoppage time, with Rea emerging unscathed and agonisingly hitting the post from Dewsbury-Hall’s delivery with a low diving header in what proved to be the final action of the game.


Town: Sluga, Potts, Bradley (C), Lockyer, Pearson, Cornick (Ince 83), Berry (Rea 72), Dewsbury-Hall, Mpanzu, Clark (Naismith 87), Collins

Subs not used: Shea, Cranie, Adebayo, Hylton, Moncur, Nombe

Goals: Collins (11)

Yellows: Dewsbury-Hall


Huddersfield: Schofield, Pipa (Pritchard 67(Vallejo 90+5)), Toffolo, Hogg, Bacuna, O’Brien, Holmes (High 90+4), Keogh, Mbenza (Aarons 45), Campbell, Sarr

Goals: Sarr (74)

Yellows: O’Brien, Pipa, Hogg

Red: Toffolo (90+2)


Referee: Leigh Doughty

Advertisement block