Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


Berry's opener cancelled out by Halme's late strike as game ends level...

7 July 2020

Match Reports


Berry's opener cancelled out by Halme's late strike as game ends level...

7 July 2020

Sponsored by

The Hatters suffered late heartbreak as they were made to settle for a 1-1 draw with Barnsley after Luke Berry’s first-half strike was cancelled out by Aapo Halme’s strike six minutes from time.

Berry’s superb finish in the 13th minute looked to the be the only goal of the game until the Tykes struck back late in the match to level proceedings.

Whilst both teams gave their all to find a winner, neither could find it and the points were shared, a result that leaves Town four points adrift of safety with four matches remaining.

Nathan Jones made four changes to the starting line-up following Saturday’s defeat against Reading, with James Bree, Martin Cranie, Danny Hylton and Berry back in the eleven.

The game started with a very high intensity from both sides who equally needed a positive result this evening.

Simon Sluga was alert twice early on to deny Barnsley, first tipping over Conor Chaplin’s header and moments later Jacob Brown’s effort from the edge of the box.

Hylton had Town’s first attempt on goal but his low header from Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu’s cross was gathered with comfort by Jack Walton.

The Hatters were not to be denied for long though, taking the lead in the 13th minute courtesy of a fine finish from Berry. Hylton played a neat ball through to Elliot Lee, who struck the post with his effort, but Berry was on hand to provide an inch-perfect finish, his first of the season.

Barnsley grew into the half as play continued and Chaplin squandered a good chance, slicing his half volley over the bar from close range, just before the first drinks break ensued.

Sluga was called into action on a few more occasions throughout the first half, getting down well to save Woodrow’s low drive and doing even better to superbly tip the forward’s goal-bound header onto the bar three minutes before half-time.

There was little between the two sides in the second half and few chances created until the last ten minutes when the away side got their equaliser.

Sluga saved well from substitute Elliot Simoes but the consequent corner was turned in by Halme during a scramble in the six-yard box.

The Tykes were pushing for a winner and came close when Brown’s shot was deflected just wide of the post.

Though the best chance of the dying embers came to substitute Harry Cornick, who was played through by Berry, but Walton saved his golden chance one-on-one.

The Hatters now turn their attention to Friday's away trip to Huddersfield Town knowing a positive result is a must to continue their hopes of survival. 


TOWN: Sluga; Bree, Carter-Vickers, Bradley (C), Potts; Cranie, Berry, Mpanzu, Lee (Shinnie 45); Hylton (Cornick 72), Collins.

Subs not used: Shea, Tunnicliffe, Pearson, McManaman, Moncur, Butterfield, Kioso.

Goal: Berry (13)

Yellows: Sluga, Potts, Berry


BARNSLEY: Walton; J.Williams (Styles 80), Sollbauer, Andersen; Ritzmaier, Mowatt (C), Bahre (Simoes 59), Ludewig; Woodrow (Schmidt 83); Chaplin (Halme 83), Brown.

Subs not used: Collins, B. Williams, Thomas, Oduor, Wolfe. 

Goals: Halme (84)

Yellows: Sollbauer, Andersen


Referee: Dean Whitestone

Advertisement block

Hatters Player Next Match Tickets Account