Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


Town survive late Biggleswade scare to win 4-3 at Kenilworth Road

26 March 2018

Club News


Town survive late Biggleswade scare to win 4-3 at Kenilworth Road

26 March 2018

Sponsored by

Jake Jervis and Jordan Cook hit a brace apiece as the Hatters won the Beds FA Senior Cup for the first time in six years, despite a late fightback by Biggleswade Town at Kenilworth Road tonight.

 The Hatters went a goal down in the second minute, but hit back to lead 4-1 at half-time.

The Evo-Stik South Premier side scored two in the last quarter-of-an-hour to make it a nervy last few minutes for an experienced Town side containing Johnny Mullins, Lloyd Jones, Jack Senior and Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu, as well as the two goalscorers.

Biggleswade took the lead with just 80 seconds on the clock when Greg Kaziboni's floated cross cleared Harry Isted and went in off the inside of the far post.

But the Town responded well and were level by the 11th minute, when Jervis netted his first goal in a Town shirt, latching onto a fine pass from Jake Peck and lifting the ball over former Hatters keeper Liam Gooch from just inside the box.

They had the lead ten minutes later when Cook received another penetrative pass from the impressive Peck and unleashed a bullet across Gooch into the bottom corner.

Cook had his second on 35 minutes when Aaron Jarvis chested the ball into Jack Senior’s path, but the full-back’s surge into the area was halted by a trip from Waders goalscorer Kaziboni, and Cook converted from 12 yards.

Jervis got his second of the night two minutes before the break, capitalising on two Biggleswade defenders getting in each other’s way and lashing in left-footed from just inside the box.

There was a lull at the start of the second half, which burst into life when substitute Liam Brooks headed captain Craig Daniel’s right-wing cross in off the far post with just over a quarter-of-an-hour to go.

Then, after Aaron Jarvis had gone close and Connor Tomlinson even closer, hitting the post, Biggleswade made it a nervous last few minutes when they netted a third with 90 minutes up – referee Wayne Cartmel consulting with his linesman before deeming that Robbie Parker's volley from the edge of the box went in without getting a touch off George Bailey, who was in an offside position in front of Isted.

The Town had received a fright, but they hung on to lift the silverware in front of a crowd of 288 at Kenilworth Road.


TOWN: Isted, Cotter (Mead 70), L Jones, Mullins ©, Senior, Mpanzu, Peck, Read, Cook, Jarvis, Jervis (Tomlinson 69). Subs: Gordon-Stearn (GK), C Jones, Neufville.

Goals: Jervis 11, 43, Cook 21, 35 (pen)

Yellows: Peck


BIGGLESWADE: Gooch, Walker, Fielding, Hoyte, Perry, Kaziboni (Statham-Allinson 73), Hall, Hicks (Brooks 60), Bowen (Bailey 60), Parker. Subs: Paton, Beevor

Goals: Kaziboni 2, Brooks 73, Parker 90

Yellows: Hall


REFEREE: Wayne Cartmel

ATT: 288

Advertisement block

Hatters Player Next Match Tickets Account