Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


24 February 2018

Sponsored by

Town boss Nathan Jones felt his side should have come away with more than a point in their 2-2 draw against Cheltenham at Kenilworth Road this afternoon.

After going a goal down through Joe Morrell's brilliant strike from range four minutes before the end of the first half, the visitors doubled their lead through Mohamed Eisa, just moments after the Hatters had seen James Collins penalty saved. Olly Lee had been dragged to the ground but tucked it past Scott Flinders, only for referee Mark Heywood bring it back for the spot kick.

Luke Berry halved the deficit with a well taken half volley just before the hour mark before Alan Sheehan headed in from Luke Gambin's corner two minutes into second half stoppage time.

The result leaves the Hatters three points clear at the top of Sky Bet League Two, with seven in between themselves and fourth.

Jones said: "It'll be a good point in the end I am sure, but it's the same old story for us – we get these opportunities and I knew today would be an opportunity.

"I didn't tell the players that because when I do tell the players that, right at the end of the month we tend to lose games or draw games or drop a point. It's really frustrating because we knew how they'd come because they did exactly the same thing last year, they play 4-5-1 and really dropped in and hit us on the counter attack.

"They scored out of nothing in the first half. It's an error from the goalkeeper because they shouldn't be scoring from that sort of range really.

"We had most of the play and a few chances that we just needed to be a bit more clinical on. We had a lot of shots that missed the target, balls flashing across we didn't connect with. It just felt like one of those days, it really did.

"We go behind and we come in at half-time and we think we'll have a right go second, and we did. The game changed in a three-minute period – from the penalty to their second goal."

Advertisement block