Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


25 August 2018

Club News


25 August 2018

Sponsored by

Hatters boss Nathan Jones was pleased overall with his side’s performance in their 3-2 win over Shrewsbury Town, coming from behind on two occasions to take all three points.

Shrewsbury took the lead with just over 30 minutes gone when Shaun Whalley scored from the penalty spot, after he was tripped by Jack Stacey. The Hatters equalised just after the restart as Jorge Grant bent in a wonderful free-kick from the edge of the box, but the Shrews regained their advantage with a mistake from James Shea allowing Lee Angol to slot in.

Stacey made amends for his earlier error as he fired past Joel Coleman to once again bring it level and Elliot Lee put the hosts in front for the first time on the afternoon with a deflected free-kick with the 80-minute mark approaching.

Consecutive victories has helped fire Town out of the relegation zone and up to tenth in Sky Bet League One.

Jones said: “I am really pleased with the result and the second half performance. We had to come from behind twice because of poor decision making really. I thought we were by far the better side.

“They came to frustrate and get something out of the game which they were very good at last year, so we knew we would have to be patient to break the down, but when you give them a goal from poor defending and a real lack of energy, then that’s what happens.

“We showed a lot more character and the second half was a lot more like us, we had a real tempo and I thought some of our second half play was brilliant. We showed a real attacking thrust about us and it should have been more at the end.”

Danny Hylton was taken off at half-time with former Shrews striker James Collins taking his place, with Jones revealing it was due to a potential injury, rather than a tactical change.

“Danny was feeling his hamstring, so it was a precaution,” Jones explained.

“The first half performance was a bit lacklustre, but you saw that with Man City and Wolves. Wolves played the exact same system as Shrewsbury and Man City had to be patient and break them down and we had to try and do that.

“The pitch was quite sticky because it was quite a hot day and we rectified that at half-time. But it contributed to a real lacklustre first half, we weren’t quite at it in terms of our play. We came out in the second half and we had to come from behind again, but we seem to be decent at that at the moment.”

Advertisement block

Hatters Player Next Match Tickets Account