The gaffer on Wycombe and possible transfer targets
Hatters boss Nathan Jones is expecting a tough task this weekend as his side travel to Wycombe Wanderers in Sky Bet League Two.
Saturday’s match at Adams Park has a lot weighing on it, as a win for the Town could see them leapfrog the Chairboys into fifth place, potentially three points off the automatic promotion spots dependent on results elsewhere.
Speaking at his press conference at Ely Way today, Jones said his side are well prepared for the encounter, as well as pointing out that his side have an element of unpredictability as he has a number of different formations his players are well practiced in.
He said: “We have done our preparation and know what we are going to do. Whether that’s a three at the back or to go with a four, we are quite adept in what we want to do and it’ll be a tough game against Wycombe, it really will.
“They’re in good form, they’re a difficult side to play against, especially at home, but we go there in good form and we are looking forward to it.
“It’s a difficult game, but they’re all difficult. This one with the league position and what’s at stake, it’s a big game for us. We are not overplaying it, we aren’t underplaying it, we know it’s an important game.
“We have had a decent start to January and we want to continue that.
“Hopefully our away form continues. It has been excellent. Since I came here the lads have been brilliant away from home. At home we have been decent performance wise, it’s just results that are not as easy to come by.”
Naturally with the transfer window open, the Hatters are linked with multiple possible targets.
But when asked about one signing in particular, it was quite clear from Jones’ reaction that the name in question was just media speculation.
“That’s unbelievably, not true,” Jones continued. “No disrespect, I don’t know who you are actually referring to! There’s no truth in that whatsoever.
“If we can strengthen the squad, we will look to bring someone in. We are probably looking for something a little bit different to what we have got in one area.
“But apart from that we are a strong squad, we are in good shape. So if it doesn’t improve us, we wont do anything, we are happy with what we have.
“If we go into the second half of the season with the squad we have, then we will be very happy. If we can improve it, then all well and good.
“But it’s very difficult to strengthen in January because I don’t want to get rid of players, I don’t want to lose players. The ones who are allowed to leave we feel generally won’t improve us, so we shall see where we are.”
The gaffer oversaw a huge squad overhaul in the summer, and has since extended a number of players' contracts, as well as signing Luke Gambin with an undisclosed fee involved in the last week.
Jones was thankful for the club’s board and chief executive being so on board with the Welshman’s plans, as his side look to break into the top three in League Two.
He said: “I know that since I have been here I have had great support from Gary Sweet and the board. We earmark certain individuals that we feel will be investments, I am not just talking financial investments.
“The club have backed our judgement on this, we paid a good fee for him [Gambin] and the lad was out of contract in six months.
“We could have been patient and waited, but we felt that if we get him now he gets four or five months of development with us and can help us immediately. So that’s what we will look to do.”
If you are a Hatters Player subscriber, click here to watch Nathan Jones’ press conference in full.