Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


3 December 2013

Sponsored by

Town 2 
Parry 48, Whalley 72

Staines Town 0

The Town booked a second round meeting with FA Trophy holders Wrexham after a 2-0 win over Staines at Kenilworth Road.

Stubborn Staines had held out for 48 minutes before Andy Parry broke the deadlock, chesting the ball down before volleying home from six yards.

And fellow former Southport man Shaun Whalley doubled the Hatters’ lead when he flicked a header into the corner of the net on 72 minutes.

It was no more than the young Hatters deserved after a dominant display against their Skrill South opponents who had kept the Town at bay for 90 minutes on Saturday.

Showing three changes to the side from the weekend, with Parry, Alex Wall and Charlie Smith all given starts, the Town began on the front foot against a Swans side win just one victory away from home all season. 

Wall was the focal point for the Town in the first half. The striker’s pace and power was causing the visitors plenty of problems and he fired two shots at goal in the opening 15 minutes which fired a warning shot to the Swans. 

Jack Turner, the Staines hero from the first game where he denied the Town with a string of fine saves, almost gifted the Hatters a soft opener when he allowed a shot from Wall to slip through his fingers. The ball rolled goalwards but the keeper managed to claw back the ball much to his relief.

Mark Cullen deflected a Pelly Ruddock cross into Wall’s path but his shot from six yard bounced over the crossbar on 26 minutes and a minute later Cullen’s drive was blocked behind for a corner.

As half-time approached the Town upped the ante. Whalley danced through the Staines defence to rifle a shot goalwards that Turner saved well.

However, three minutes after the restart the Hatters were in front. Smith’s curling free-kick was flicked towards the unmarked Parry, and he coolly volleyed home from inside the six yard box having taken the ball down on his chest. It was his fourth goal of the season.

The Town were now sensing blood and Cullen flicked a header wide on 53 minutes before Ruddock was unlucky not to win a penalty when he was sent sprawling in the box having galloped up the line and into the area following Whalley’s slide-rule pass five minutes later.

Matt Robinson almost served up a second on a plate for Wall and Cullen on 58 minutes but neither forward could find the all-important touch.

But with the Hatters beginning to turn to screw, Turner saved a Whalley free-kick on 69 minutes and three minutes later Whalley did find the net, changing his body shape well to turn and head past Turner from eight yards for his second goal in Luton colours.

By now the Town were looking dangerous with every attack and Turner denied Cullen once more with a really smart stop on 72 minutes and the goalkeeper prevented the striker again with nine minutes left.

As time ticked down Staines tried in vain to find a late consolation but found Elliot Justham a hard barrier to pass and, with holes appearing in the visitors’ defence, the Town came close to adding to their tally in the closing stages. Substitute Zane Banton twice went close with fine efforts and Whalley tested Turner with the final kick.

Town: Justham; Chabata, Howells, Davis, Parry; C. Smith (sub Rees 82), Ruddock, Robinson, Whalley; Wall (sub Banton 62), Cullen. 

Subs not used: Barnes, Amu, Mendy.

Attendance: 911 including 47 from Staines.

Advertisement block