Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

24 August 2019 Venue Oakwell Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - Championship

Advertisement block

Advertisement block


Commentary to begin soon

There are currently no key moments to display.

Are you sure you want to delete this event?

Delete Cancel

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews


Oakwell - Saturday 24th August - 3pm kick-off - iFollow audio

23 August 2019

The Hatters head north once again this afternoon, travelling a few miles past Tuesday’s destination of Sheffield Wednesday as they prepare to take on the Owls’ south Yorkshire neighbours Barnsley at Oakwell in tomorrow’s 3pm kick-off.

The 23,000-capacity stadium will be like home from home for many of the Town squad, with eight current Hatters having played for the Tykes at some point during their careers.

Jacob Butterfield and James Bree both came through the ranks at Oakwell, while Martin Cranie, Luke Berry, Elliot Lee, Matty Pearson and George Moncur had permanent stays there and Ryan Tunnicliffe spent time on loan from Manchester United in 2013.

Of course, the familiarity spreads further than just former players, with the Hatters having fought a thrilling title tussle with the Tykes last season, eventually taking the silverware on the final day despite having taken just one point from the two games against Barnsley.

The Yorkshire club have ex-Hatters Cameron McGeehan and Cauley Woodrow in their side, who started this season with a win over Fulham before losing to Wednesday, drawing 2-2 at home to the third promoted club, Charlton, and going down 2-0 at Birmingham in midweek.

They currently sit 20th in the four-game-old table, two places above the Hatters who are three points behind with just the one on the board so far, from the 3-3 opening night draw with Middlesbrough.

The Hatters have had eight different scorers of their eight goals in all competitions so far this season, but will be without defender Cranie, who suffered a knee injury that resulted in him being carried off on a stretcher at Hillsborough. The ex-Sheffield United man was having the injury scanned yesterday to assess the damage.

Fellow defenders Dan Potts and Brendan Galloway are doubts having missed the midweek fixture, along with forward Callum McManaman, although manager Graeme Jones said all three would be monitored today to determine their availability. Luke Berry was back in training yesterday, but Danny Hylton is ruled out having undergone surgery to clean up a knee problem.



On Barnsley: "They are a capable team tactically and individually. Obviously they beat Fulham on the opening day, drew 2-2 with Charlton, who got a penalty late in the game. Barnsley were probably the better side. At home they are always a threat. They are a capable outfit."

On whether eight Hatters going back to face their former club is a good thing: "I think it can work both ways. The good thing is that they’ve got familiarity with the set-up there and the audience and what we are going to go and face. I always take these things into consideration...but I didn’t know there was eight!"

On whether facing a newly-promoted team is a better opportunity to get that first win: "No, I just assess every game on its own merits. As I said on Tuesday, the next game is Barnsley and we need to prepare well for Barnsley – we are in the process of that – and make sure we are competitive."



The Tykes have bounced between the Championship and League One a number of times over recent years, their promotion last season as runners-up in League One behind the Hatters meant an immediate return to the second tier after relegation the previous year. They had spent a two-year stint in the Championship prior that 2017-18 drop. Once a Premier League side, albeit for a single season, Barnsley have more recently won the Football League Trophy (2015/16) and currently contain two former Town players in their squad - midfielder Cameron McGeehan and striker Cauley Woodrow.



Kick-off is at 3pm at Oakwell on Saturday 24th August.



Stephen Martin will take charge of the game at Oakwell. So far this season the Staffordshire official has refereed three matches, issuing nine yellow cards and no reds. Last season he showed 84 yellows and three reds in 35 matches.



Tickets remaining from the Town's 1,496 allocation are on sale until 2pm today at the following prices:

Adult: £20.00

65 and over: £15.00

Young Adult (19-21): £15.00

Juvenile (12-18): £10.00

Under-12s (with Adult or Senior): £5.00

Wheelchair and ambulant supporters should pay the normal age related price and are entitled to a carer ticket free of charge.

Should tickets be made available on the day, it will be cash only at the North Stand turnstiles. Prices increase by £2. Juvenile and Under 12 tickets would need to be purchased from the Box Office.



The Hatters met the Yorkshiremen twice last season in League One, with Daniel Stendel’s side running out 3-2 winners at Oakwell back last October before a goalless draw on New Year's Day at Kenilworth Road. In total, Town have been victorious over Barnsley on 23 occasions, drawn nine, and lost 27 times in the 59 meetings between the sides.



The main blow-by-blow account of the action from Oakwell will be provided via the Match Centre on the club website, which you can access by clicking here. (*Please note that the club's Live Text will appear only by accessing through an internet browser, users of the Luton Town FC app will receive updates from Opta)

The main moments from the game will appear on the Hatters' social media feeds:

Twitter – @LutonTown

Facebook –

Instagram –



As ever, Simon 'Statto' Pitts will be on hand to provide commentary for iFollow Hatters which you can subscribe to by clicking here.

Supporters based overseas can watch a live video stream of the match if they are already subscribers, or by purchasing a match pass.



Barnsley have put together a visitor's guide to Oakwell, which you can access by clicking here.

Advertisement block

Match Reports


First-half goals from Butterfield, Collins and Cornick seal first win

24 August 2019

The Hatters recorded their first Sky Bet Championship win of the season in style this afternoon as first-half goals from Jacob Butterfield, James Collins and Harry Cornick proved more than enough to see off fellow newly-promoted club Barnsley.

A week after seeing their own 28-game unbeaten home league run brought to an end by West Brom, the Town set about ending Barnsley sequence of 29 league matches at Oakwell without being beaten, with former Tykes academy graduate and captain Butterfield opening the scoring with little more than a minute on the clock.

Collins added his second of the season inside the opening four minutes, before Cornick did likewise just after the half-hour as Graeme Jones' side looked set for the victory their early performances against Middlesbrough, Cardiff, Albion and Sheffield Wednesday had merited.

A second-half strike from home winger Mallik Wilks reduced the arrears and denied goalkeeper Simon Sluga and his defence the clean sheet they craved, but nothing could take the gloss off Jones' first league win as a manager to send more than 1,100 travelling Hatters on their way home in great voice.

Jones made one enforced change to his starting line-up, with Luke Bolton coming into the team at right-back in place of Martin Cranie, who was carried off on a stretcher at Sheffield Wednesday in midweek.

The on-loan Manchester City teenager was making his first EFL start for the club having appeared as a substitute at Hillsborough following his 45-minute appearance from the kick-off in the Carabao Cup win over Ipswich Town.

That meant the Town lined up with Simon Sluga in goal behind a back four of Bolton, Matty Pearson, captain Sonny  Bradley and James Bree. Butterfield was anchoring the midfield, with Andrew Shinnie and Ryan Tunnicliffe behind a front three of Kazenga LuaLua, Collins and Cornick

Town made a dream start, with former Barnsley captain Butterfield firing home from the edge  of the area with just 82 seconds on the clock.

The ball was worked from a throw in the left-back position, with Shinnie helping it out to Pearson, who fed Bolton on the right touchline. The full-back's first touch took two Barnsley players out of the game, and after Collins and Cornick linked well to get to the byline, Shinnie - who had made his way into the area - saw his shot deflected into the path of Butterfield, who cracked a left-footed shot low past Sami Radlinger in the home goal.

Within two minutes the lead had been doubled, Shinnie's right-wing corner travelling all the way through to LuaLua on the far side of the area. The forward created space for himself and delivered another cross that Radlinger failed to deal with, allowing Bree to drive the ball across the six-yard box for Collins to turn in from close range.

The Hatters were playing some brilliant football, and after Bradley had sent two headers at goal in quick succession from Shinnie set-pieces, Radlinger produced an unbelievable 18th-minute save with his foot to deby Collins a second, after Shinnie - who had already played LuaLua in on the right - received a return ball from the Town forward and hammered it goalward.

Collins was lurking in the six-yard box and changed the ball's direction with a deft touch, only for the German keeper to turn it behind with an outstretched left boot.

LuaLua was next to have a go, sending a shot whistling just past the post before Alex Mowatt had Barnsley's first attempt on goal - a 25-yard shot that flew high over the bar - midway through the half.

With 25 minutes gone another chance presented itself for Cornick, after Tunnicliffe had burst to the left byline, but Radlinger was right behind this snap-shot, then Mallik Wilks looked to respond for Barnsley, but Sluga was off his line quickly to gather as the ex-Leeds winger appeared to have got in behind Pearson.

The former Barnsley centre-half was next to come within a whisker of extending the advantage, hitting a low shot from the edge of the area that Radlinger couldn't hold, but the keeper did well to hook the ball away from Collins, who was prowling in the six-yard box.

It was three just after the half-hour, and again it was Shinnie at the heart of the goal, whipping in a free-kick from wide on the left that Barnsley again failed to deal with and Cornick was there to profit, hammering the loose ball past Radlinger and a host of defenders on the line from 12 yards.

Sluga did brilliantly to claw a Wilks header away from his goal-line, injuring his knee in the process and receiving lengthy treatment, and the Hatters were soon back on the attack, with LuaLua and Cornick causing all sorts of problems with their pace and trickery, Butterfield and Shinnie running the midfield.

Barnsley had the last chance of the half, Mowatt shifting the ball wide to Luke Thomas on the right edge of the area, but the former Coventry winger's shot flew safely over Sluga's goal into the ecstatic travelling Town fans in the North Stand. 

The hosts came out of the blocks quickly in the second half and Mowatt raced clear as his side broke from a Town corner, but Tunnicliffe read the danger and swept up, before Mamadou Thiam headed wide from a corner.

The same Barnsley forward looked to punish Bolton after an attempted clearance was charged down inside the opposition half, but Sluga flew across his line to push his 20-yard shot away.

Collins had the ball in the Tykes' net again in the 56th minute, but his hooked volley from Bradley's knock-down was ruled out for offside, then Sluga was off his line rapidly again on the hour to deny Thiam once more.

Barnsley were having the better of the second period and had a goal back with just under 20 minutes to go when Mowatt cut the ball back from the left byline for Wilks to sweep it home from eight yards.

Sluga was at his best to turn a Mowatt shot behind, just before Jones replaced LuaLua with Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu on 81 minutes. From the resulting corner, Wilks met a right-wing corner with a glancing header, but the Town could breathe easy as the ball drifted wide of the far post.


TOWN: Sluga, Bolton, Pearson, Bradley ©, Bree, Butterfield, Shinnie, Tunnicliffe, LuaLua (Mpanzu 81), Cornick (Lee 85), Collins. Subs: Moncur, Galloway, Brown, Jones, Shea.

Goals: Butterfield 2, Collins 4, Cornick 31

Yellows: LuaLua

TYKES: Radlinger, Diaby (Halme 67), Andersen (Green 46), McGeehan, Bahre ©, Thomas, Sibbick, Pinillos (Williams 46), Thiam, Mowatt, Wilks. Subs: Collins, Chaplin, Schmidt, Oduor.

Goals: Wilks 72

Yellows: Diaby, Bahre, Wilks

REFEREE: Stephen Martin

ATT: 13,250 (1,175 Hatters)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block