Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy tickets
21 November 2017 Venue Kenilworth Road Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Previews


21 November 2017

The Hatters will look to continue their unbeaten run in November as they take on Carlisle United this evening at Kenilworth Road, with Nathan Jones' side in second place and just two points shy off top spot in Sky Bet League Two.

The 7-0 win over Cambridge on Saturday saw the Town become the first Football League side ever to score seven goals or more in a game three times before Christmas.

The victory saw them rise two places from fourth, as well as increase their goal difference to plus-26 – second only to Manchester City in English football this season, and now 12 better than anyone else in the division.

Whilst it was a magnificent result that saw Olly Lee net a 70-yard strike which will be talked about for a long time to come, the midfielder also picked up his fifth booking of the season, meaning he will miss tonight's game through suspension.

Scott Cuthbert is sidelined having been stretchered off with a groin injury, whilst James Collins still recovers from a hamstring problem picked up at Cheltenham Town.

Carlisle are in strong form having picked up 18 points over the last ten games. They are unbeaten in their last six outings, a run that sees them sit 11th, four points off seventh.


On replacing the suspended Olly Lee in his line-up: "I've got five that I can bring in that are absolutely chomping at the bit. The likes of Alan McCormack, Lawson D'Ath, Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu, Luke Gambin and Jordan Cook, they have all be been vying for a place.

"So if we go the same way in terms of shape then you've got four or five who are itching and really want to impress. We are going to miss Olly, but it's an opportunity for someone else to step in."

On injuries to Scott Cuthbert and Dan Potts: "We are still waiting really for everything to be sorted [regarding Cuthbert]. We've got it scanned, he just overstretched his groin. We've had to wait and see on that.

"He was on his left foot so it might have been that. But it's an unfortunate injury, it's not been a block tackle or somebody's caught him late or he has sprinted. He slipped and sort of did the splits if you like, it was more like Strictly Come Dancing, without the flexibility.

"Dan's fine. He obviously got a knock, we wanted to take precautions, but also the calibre that we have on the bench as well [there are players who can fill in comfortably], it was just precautionary really."

On Carlisle: "They're a good side and they've got good players. It'll be a very, very difficult game, we know that. We're expected a difficult game as we had two against them last season. We can't second guess them, all we can do is try and put in a performance that we feel is Luton."


Now in League Two for the fourth consecutive season, Carlisle's 2016/17 season ended in similar heartbreak to us, as they fell at the play-off stage to Exeter City, now Hatters defender Jack Stacey doing the damage for the Grecians with a late thunderbolt of an effort.


Kick-off is at 7:45pm on Tuesday 21st November at Kenilworth Road.


Tickets for this evening's game are still available from the Ticket Office in person, over the phone on 01582 416976, or online which you can access by clicking here.

Cash turnstiles will also be in operation for all home areas of the ground.


The Hatters played away at Carlisle on a Tuesday night in Sky Bet League Two last March, with the game finishing goalless. The Hatters have met Carlisle 28 times, with the Town winning 11 of those, drawing ten and losing seven.


You can follow the Hatters' Twitter feed on @LutonTown, or stay up to date on the LTFC website in the match centre. iFollow Hatters subscribers can tune in for Simon Pitts' match commentary, whilst international subscribers can watch the game live.


Carlisle fans making the journey down from Cumbria can check out our visiting supporters' guide by clicking here.


Don't forget that if you are looking for somewhere to park tonight, there are 500 new spaces in the car park on the site of our proposed new stadium, Power Court. At the special introductory price it costs just 50p an hour, with every space that is used benefitting the club's maintenance of the site while we wait for permission on the developments. Full details can be found by clicking here.


If you missed the feature on the Hatters on BBC Look East last night, click on the link below and scroll to 17 mins 55 seconds...

Advertisement block

Match Reports


Terrific Town make it ten goals in two games to go back to the top of the table

21 November 2017

The Hatters moved back to the top of the Sky Bet League Two table this evening with another convincing victory at Kenilworth Road, dispatching an in-form Carlisle side 3-0 to leapfrog Notts County on goal difference.

In the wake of Saturday’s 7-0 home win over Cambridge, when Town made League history by becoming the first side to score seven or more on three separate occasions before Christmas, boss Nathan Jones had called for his team to back up fine individual results with prolonged consistency.

Here, just as they did when following up last month’s 7-1 win over Stevenage with a 4-1 victory at Exeter to go top for the first time this season, the Welshman’s lads heeded his advice and made it ten goals and none conceded in four wonderful days at the Kenny.

Andrew Shinnie bent in a beauty to set the ball rolling in the 19th minute – the Scot’s first league goal for the club after netting twice in the Checkatrade Trophy win at AFC Wimbledon – before Dan Potts headed in his fifth of the season to double the lead on the half-hour.

Substitute Harry Cornick came on to wrap things up late in the 76th-minute, before Danny Hylton passed up the opportunity to make it an even more emphatic win – and the chance for his 12th of the season – when he saw a penalty saved three minutes later.

In his team selection, Jones - already without the injured Alan McCormack and James Collins, who was the nine-goal top scorer prior to tweaking his hamstring at Cheltenham ten days ago - was forced into two changes.

Johnny Mullins came into the back four in place of captain Scott Cuthbert, who suffered a groin injury early in Saturday’s 7-0 win over Cambridge, and Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu was brought into midfield with Olly Lee ruled out after picking up his fifth yellow card of the season before netting his 70-yard wonder strike from deep inside his own half four days ago.

Carlisle started positively and had the first sniff of goal when Reggie Lambe crossed from the right and top scorer Hallam Hope got his head on it, but Marek Stech’s save was routine.

The visitors had the next chance too, as Shaun Miller took advantage of space in behind Potts, who had ventured forward, to race onto a Tom Parkes ball into the corner and cut back onto his left foot to get a shot in, though Alan Sheehan’s intervention deflected it wide.

Then, in the 17th minute, Hallam Hope pounced on a drop-ball and cracked a low drive just wide of Stech’s right-hand post.

The Hatters had offered little in an attacking sense thus far, but in the 18th minute Elliot Lee burst onto a loose ball 35 yards from goal and drove at the Cumbrians’ box, slipping Luke Berry in to his left, though the midfielder’s delayed shot was blocked.

Fear not, the breakthrough wasn’t long in coming. A minute later, Lee was once more the architect, threading a lovely ball into the left side of the area that looked destined for Mpanzu, who wisely moved aside to let Shinnie bend a beautiful right-footed shot around United keeper Jack Bonham.

Now the Town were well into their stride, Lee relishing the opportunity of a second successive start and picking pockets of space to try to ease his team-mates in, one delightful curling pass into the box just eluding strike partner Hylton’s right boot.

The second goal arrived on the half-hour, and it was that man Potts again – the Town number three making it three goals in three games by meeting Sheehan’s deep, outswinging free-kick with a diving header to double the advantage.

Lee was keen to try his own luck, but, at the end of a flowing move down the left that started with Mpanzu and Glen Rea – who was dominating midfield – on the edge of their own box and continued with Berry, his 25-yard shot after cutting in from the flank as only troubling the scoreboard.

Sheehan, wearing the captain’s armband in Cuthbert’s absence, went into referee Chris Sarginson’s just before half-time after clashing with Hope, who was also shown the yellow card, but the Town went in at the break comfortably in the lead.

The Cumbrians were determined to make the evening anything but comfortable for Sheehan in a  physical sense, ref Sarginson earning an ovation from the home crowd for booking midfielder Luke Joyce for a late challenge on the Irish defender, despite letting play go on for a good minute.

Carlisle once again had the early sights of goal in the half, Hope firing one in, Grainger cracking a free-kick against the strong Hatters wall – and the rebound out for a throw – before Mike Jones had two shots from range in the 65th minute that were both deflected out of harm’s way.

After a dangerous ball into the Town six-yard box was cleared, Mpanzu carried the ball down the Town right and put in two successive crosses that eased the mounting pressure, the second winning the Hatters a corner.

He was soon having to track back at the other end, however, and became the second Town player to be booked, this one for handball, as Shaun Miller looked to get in on 70 minutes.

Jones made his first change in the 72nd minute, bringing Cornick on for Lee – and within four minutes he had been rewarded.

Moments after Rea had seen a thunderous shot blocked, Stacey tapped a simple little ball down the right from just inside his own half and Cornick raced clear, ignoring Hylton’s instructions to leave it in the belief he’d be offside, and slipped his shot inside Bonham’s near post for the third.

It could have been four in the 79th minute when, after Clint Hill had brought him down in the box after a great nutmeg and wriggle past the veteran defender on the byline, Hylton saw his penalty saved by Bonham, diving low to his left.

Cornick tried to put one on a plate for the top scorer two minutes later when he crossed from the right, but lurking at the far post, Hylton’s header was blocked inside the six-yard box and Carlisle breathed another sigh of relief.

Lawson D’Ath came on for the injured Mullins, who along with Sheehan, had really dug in with some stout defending at 2-0 in the second half, and Jones then brought on teenage centre-half Famewo to add his height to what had become a back five against Carlisle’s towering forward line.

His obdurate Hatters saw it through without scare to make it ten clean sheets for the season, three league games unbeaten and just one defeat in 13 – one in 16 in all competitions – as they move on to Crewe on Saturday as league leaders for a second time.


TOWN: Stech, Stacey, Mullins (D’Ath 83), Sheehan ©, Potts, Rea, Mpanzu, Berry, Shinnie (Famewo 88), Hylton, E Lee (Cornick 72). Subs: Justin, Cook, Gambin, Shea (GK)

Yellows: Sheehan, Mpanzu

Goals: Shinnie 19, Potts 30, Cornick 76


CARLISLE: Bonham, T Miller, Grainger ©, Joyce (Cosgrove 85), Liddle, Parkes (Etuhu 46), Jones (Bennett 74), Hope, Lambe, S Miller, Hill. Subs: Devitt, Brown, O’Sullivan, George (GK)

Yellows: Hope, Joyce, Grainger


REFEREE: Chris Sarginson

ATT: 7,644 (215 away)

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Hatters Player Next Match Tickets Account