Report | Proud Town bow out with defeat

The Hatters’ final game in the Premier League ended in defeat as Fulham ran out 4-2 winners on a balmy afternoon at Kenilworth Road.


Knowing only a victory and a heavy defeat for Nottingham Forest would ensure top-flight safety, the Town were soon aware that two quickfire goals for the Tricky Trees at Burnley meant relegation was effectively rubber-stamped in the opening stages.

On the pitch in Bedfordshire, the game sparked into life in the final moments of the first half. Fulham took the lead when Adama Traore finished brilliantly from the edge of the box on 43 minutes and 60 seconds later Carlton Morris stroked home an equaliser from the penalty spot after Chiedozie Ogbene was fouled in the box.

The Town couldn’t get to the half-time level, however, as Fulham restored their lead when Raul Jimenez cooly side-footed home after a counter-attack.

It took the visitors – and Jimenez – four minutes after the restart to lead by two when Jimenez’s header from a right-wing free-kick found the back of the net after going in off the post.

Yet back came the Town and six minutes later it was 3-2 when, after Ogbene was fouled on the edge of the area, Alfie Doughty’s low free-kick found the target.

With the Hatters aiming to end the season with a flourish it was Fulham who added to the score when Harry Wilson – minutes after hitting the woodwork – found the top corner from the edge of the box to make it 4-2.

The Town tried their luck to get back into it but with time ticking, manager Rob Edwards began to ring the changes, which saw James Shea brought on for his Premier League debut.

And the keeper, who enjoyed promotions three promotions with the clubs, kept a clean sheet in the final stages, which saw him make one fine stop to deny Wilson.

Once the final whistle had sounded the players returned to the dressing room before returning out to the pitch before taking in applause from the 10,000 Town supporters.

Town: Kaminski (sub Shea 76); Ogbene (sub Townsend 76), Doughty, Osho, Mengi (sub Johnson 17), Hashioka; Lokonga, Clark (Mpanzu 70), Chong, Morris, Adebayo (sub Woodrow 76).

Subs: Krul, Berry, Onyedinma, Piesold.

Attendance: 12,027, including 1,365 from Fulham

Related Content

  1. 01
  2. 02
  3. 03