Match Reports

Report | Luton Town 1-1 Sheffield United

Carlton Morris scored as Luton Town held league leaders Sheffield United to a 1-1 draw at Kenilworth Road on Friday night.


Town went in front after only ten minutes, as Morris made it two goals in as many games with his headed effort.

Oli McBurnie levelled in the second half for the Blades, as both sides had to settle for a point each.

Nathan Jones made one change from last weekend’s win away at Swansea City, with Morris partnering Elijah Adebayo in attack. Fred Onyedinma returns to the Hatters’ matchday squad for the first time this season, having missed out through injury.

Under the lights and the Sky Sports cameras, the game’s first chance fell to the Hatters. Allan Campbell made a surging run and found Morris with his cut-back, but the striker’s finish was over the crossbar.

And Morris would give Luton the lead after ten minutes. Amari’I Bell’s cross was perfect for the 26-year-old to head beyond Wes Foderingham.

The Blades began to threaten, as had their best chance of the opening stages through James McAtee, who saw his effort deflected wide.

Adebayo then came close to a second for Luton, rising highest from James Bree’s cross, but he couldn’t keep his header down.

Luke Freeman combined well with Adebayo, with the former Sheffield United man finding a pocket of space in the area. His shot was tame, however, and claimed by Foderingham.

Town were a whisker away from the game’s second goal, as Bree’s tempting cross just evaded Adebayo, who couldn’t quite get on the end of it.

Adebayo would have another effort on goal minutes later, improvising a quick volley goalward from a Bree cross which went over the bar.

The Blades made the better start in the second half, as they went in search of an equaliser. Iliman Ndiaye came close to a leveller, but for a Reece Burke block.

And they would find their equaliser from the resulting corner. McBurnie was left unmarked as the ball fell to the striker, and he fired beyond Ethan Horvath.

Morris came close to his and Luton’s second of the evening on the 70-minute mark. The striker headed a Bree cross into Allan Campbell’s path, who saw his shot deflected back to Morris, with his effort palmed away by the Sheffield United goalkeeper.

Adebayo continued to threaten for the Hatters, and came close with another effort on goal, as he saw his floating header drift just over the bar.

Cameron Jerome was brought on for Town’s first switch of the game, as the 36-year-old replaced Morris. Luke Berry was brought on for Town’s second switch later in the half, replacing Luke Freeman.

Town continued to threaten as the game went into its dying embers, with Bell seeing a shot blocked by a Sheffield United defender.

Late on, Jerome came close to snatching all three points for the Hatters. The 36-year-old was found well by Adebayo, and saw his effort clawed wide.


Town: Morris (10’)

Blades: McBurnie (53’)

Att: 9,882 (1,032 away)

Related Content

  1. 01
  2. 02
  3. 03