Match Reports

Match Report | Luton Town 4-0 Preston North End

Luton Town returned to winning ways in emphatic fashion, beating Preston North End 4-0 at Kenilworth Road on Wednesday night.


Luke Berry opened the scoring for Town, before Onyedinma doubled the lead. Berry added a third before half-time with a fantastic flick and the Hatters added a fourth in the second half, courtesy Bambo Diaby’s own goal.

Nathan Jones made four changes to the Town side from Sunday’s defeat against QPR. Kioso and Dan Potts came into the defence, with Berry replacing the injured Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu. In attack, Harry Cornick partnered Elijah Adebayo.

Town made the perfect start, scoring within the opening ten minutes. A James Bree cross was floated into the area, and the ball eventually fell to Berry who calmly slotted into the bottom corner for the opener.

Cameron Archer had the visitors’ first chance. Latching onto a long ball forward, the Aston Villa loanee broke into the Town area and saw his shot saved by James Shea, making his 100th appearance for the club.

Town were forced into an early switch, with Reece Burke unable to continue. Onyendinma was brought on, and Bree dropped into the back three.

Not long after coming on, Onyedinma doubled Luton’s lead. Bree’s free kick was bundled over the line by the 25-year-old, with Kioso also amongst the action. Kioso was originally credited with the goal, but went down as an Onyedinma strike.

Amari’i Bell almost added a third for Luton before half time. Onyendinma did well on the right-hand side and found Bell with a cross, but his header was saved well by Daniel Iversen.

Town would add their third goal of the first half shortly after. Cornick’s cross was met by Berry, who found the bottom corner with a brilliant back-heel flick.

In the first chance of the second half, it was nearly four. Kioso rose highest from Bree’s corner, but saw his header blocked by a Preston defender, with Adebayo firing over from the rebound.

Just before the hour mark, Luton would have their fourth. Countering from a Preston attack, Cornick found Bell, whose venomous effort was saved by Iversen but saw the ball rebound off Diaby for an own goal.

Adebayo almost added a fifth, as Town went in search of another. The striker’s header crashed off the crossbar, with the linesman’s flag going up shortly after.

Preston should’ve pulled one back, but Josh Murphy saw his effort flash wide of Shea’s post.

Danny Hylton was Town’s second switch of the game, replacing Cornick with just over ten minutes remaining.

Town made their third and final switch as the game entered the 81st minute, with Carlos Mendes Gomes introduced for Berry as the Town recorded an emphatic win as they moved back up into the Championship play-off places.


Town: Berry (9’, 43’), Onyedinma (28’), Diaby OG (59’)

Att: 9,408 (614 away)

Related Content

  1. 01
  2. 02
  3. 03