Match Report | Luton Town 3-2 Sheffield Wednesday

The Hatters mounted an unbelievable second half comeback to seal a memorable win at Kenilworth Road against relegation-threatened Sheffield Wednesday.


After a disappointing first half display resulted in Wednesday taking a two goal lead, Luton struck back with three second half goals to turn the tide on their opponents.

Wednesday came flying out of the blocks, testing the Hatters' back three with an early ball over the top that required goalkeeper Simon Sluga to race out and clear on the edge of his box.

After a period of sustained pressure, Sheffield Wednesday took an early lead at Kenilworth Road. The Hatters gave the ball away inside their own half allowing Callum Paterson to race into the box down the right, as he pulled back to find Josh Windass who tapped home from close range.

Wednesday continued to pile on the pressure, winning a number of corners that Luton were just about able to clear. The Hatters were lucky to not go two behind in the 22nd minute after Wednesday broke at speed from their own half, sending Windass through on goal who fired over the bar to the relief of the Hatters.

A few minutes before half-time and Wednesday grabbed what was a deserved second goal after a disjointed first half performance from the Hatters. Matty Pearson slipped as Kadeem Harris crossed in from the right, with the ball spilling through to Windass at the back post who smashed home first time for his second of the game.

Luton went into the half-time break with it all to do after a very disappointing first-half display.

Nathan Jones made three changes at half-time whilst changing to a diamond formation in an attempt to turn the tide in the second half, introducing Glen Rea, Harry Cornick and Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu in place of Martin Cranie, Joe Morrell and Tom Ince.

The changes had the desired affect just five minutes into the second half. Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall delivered a low corner from the left that January signing Kal Naismith met first time running across the front post, steering into the far corner and giving Luton the start that they needed if they were going to mount an unlikely comeback.

The half time changes continued to have to desired effect as the Hatters continued to play with an energy, quality and intensity that was not present in the opening 45 minutes.

Before the hour mark Ryan Tunnicliffe drew the Hatters level as Luton took the game to Sheffield Wednesday and looked most likely to go on and win the game. Dewsbury-Hall fed the impressive Elijah Adebayo down the left flank with Tunnicliffe racing in at the edge of box, firing home first time to draw the Hatters level.

In a breathless second half where the Hatters dominated every aspect of play, Elijah Adebayo completed an unbelievable comeback by giving Luton the lead with five minutes to play. Harry Cornick raced down the right flank, clipping to the back post to Adebayo who rose highest to head home at the near post.

Despite being faced with seven minutes of stoppage time, Luton came through unscathed and celebrated an unbelievable but fully deserved second half comeback to seal three points at Kenilworth Road that moved them up to 14th in the Championship table.

Town: Sluga, Potts, Pearson, Cranie (Mpanzu 45), Naismith, Clark, Morrell (Rea 45), Dewsbury-Hall, Tunnicliffe, Ince (Cornick 45), Adebayo.

Subs not used: Shea, Bree, Berry, Moncur, Collins, Hylton.

Yellows: Rea

Goals: Naismith (50), Tunnicliffe (58), Adebayo (86)

Sheffield Wednesday: Wildsmith, Urhoghide, Lees, Borner (Dunkley 83), Penney (Reach 68), Harris, Hutchinson, Bannan, Brown, Windass (Marriott 79), Paterson (Rhodes 68).

Subs not used: Jackson, Hunt, Palmer, Pelupessey, Kachunga,

Yellows: Urhoghide, Hutchinson

Goals: Windass (6, 42)

Related Content

  1. 01
  2. 02
  3. 03