Match Report | Luton Town 2-0 Wycombe Wanderers

The Hatters made it three wins out of four in the Sky Bet Championship after beating Wycombe Wanderers 2-0 at Kenilworth Road this afternoon.


Pelly-Ruddock Mpanzu’s superb strike and substitute Elliot Lee’s late goal gave Town a well-deserved three points and moved them up into 5th position heading into the international break.

Nathan Jones made two changes following defeat against Watford last weekend, with Glen Rea returning and Jordan Clark making his first league start.

Chances were few and far between for both sides until the game neared half-time. Captain Sonny Bradley tried his luck from distance but saw his effort fly over the bar.

Minutes later, Mpanzu crossed deep for Clark and his looping header beat goalkeeper Ryan Allsop but not Darius Charles, who made a vital clearance on the line.

Town’s forward pressure finally paid off in the 59th minute with a glorious strike from Mpanzu.

Cornick laid the ball to him on the edge of the box and Mpanzu curled a beauty into the top corner to give the Hatters the lead.

The home side were on the hunt for a second goal and came very close to doubling their advantage shortly after opening the scoring.

Cornick produced some great work down the left-hand-side and picked out Berry in space, but his first-time effort was saved by the legs of Allsop.

It wasn’t long before another fantastic chance presented itself to the Hatters as Berry chipped a free-kick into the box, Bradley stabbed at it and the ball dropped to Collins, who was denied at close range by Curtis Thompson on the line for Wycombe.

There was late drama as the Chairboys had the ball in the back of the net through substitute Scott Kashket but the goal was ruled out for offside.

Following that decision, Town went up the other end and added a second goal courtesy of Lee. Kazenga LuaLua did very well to beat his man and get to the by-line, then crossed for Lee who calmly found the bottom corner.

Victory leads the Hatters nicely into the two-week international break as they welcome Stoke City to the Kenny on Saturday 17th October with the hope of making it four wins from five in the league.

Town: Sluga, Cranie, Pearson, Bradley (C), Norrington-Davies; Rea, Berry, Mpanzu; Cornick (Lee 80), Clark (LuaLua 73), Collins (Hylton 88)

Subs not used: Shea, Tunnicliffe, Moncur, Kioso

Goals: Mpanzu (59), Lee (89)

Yellows: Cornick

Wycombe: Allsop, Grimmer, Stewart, Charles Jacobson (C); Wheeler (Onyedinma 61), Adeniran, Freeman, Horgan (Parker 69), Thompson, Samuel (Kashket 64)

Subs not used: Stockdale, Bloomfield, Phillips, McCarthy.

Referee: Graham Scott

Related Content

  1. 01
  2. 02
  3. 03