Skip to main content


14:13 2th September 2011


The Hatters were left to rue two missed penalties as they were held to a 2-2 draw at Hayes & Yeading United. After falling behind to a fourth minute strike from Louie Soares, Danny Crow missed a penalty before Jake Howells suffered the same fate 10 minutes later, with both efforts being stopped by home stopper Steve Arnold. Amari Morgan-Smith netted the rebound from Howells' effort to put them back on level terms and two minutes later Crow put the Town ahead, slotting home after rounding Arnold. However, the hosts equalised in first half stoppage time when Soares punished indecisive Town defending. The second half saw the Hatters push for a winner and came close with Keith Keane and Alex Lawless going close and substitute Adam Watkins having a shot cleared off the line. United could have stolen the points but Mark Tyler came the Town's rescue when keeping out Luke Williams' shot with three minutes left. Boss Gary Brain kept the faith with the same side that beat Braintree 3-1 on Saturday with Alex recovering from a tight hamstring to start alongside captain Keane in the middle of the park. Of the starting XI, only Tyler, Keane, Howells, Morgan-Smith and Crow featured the last two time the two teams met back in January. After a bright opening couple of minutes of possession the Hatters found themselves a goal behind on four minutes. The hosts cleared a Town corner and raced upfield, Soares finding Pierre Joseph-Dubios who in turn squared the ball across goal for Soares to lash home from close range. Richard Pacquette almost stole a march on the Hatters defence but a crucial intervention from Curtis Osano prevented the ex-QPR striker a shot on goal before the drama begun in the 16th minute. Crow raced onto a long ball forward and wriggled between two Hayes defenders, but one of those, Diak John, felled the striker and referee Robinson awarded a penalty. Home keeper Arnold had already saved two penalties this season, and he did the business again, preventing Crow's well-struck spot-kick from finding the bottom corner. Still the Town pressed and on 25 minutes they got their second chance to score from the spot. Howells did well to worm his way into the box before he was bundled over by Harrison Bayley. Howells took responsibility after winning the kick but his effort found the midriff of Arnold. But Town blushes were spared when Morgan-Smith side-footed home the rebound for his fourth goal of the season. With their tails up the Hatters took just two minutes to complete the turnaround when Crow made amends for his earlier miss from 12 yards but latching onto a lovely long pass from Lawless to round Arnold and slot home. A half-time lead was at the Town's mercy and with Robbie Willmott running amok down the left flank with his searing pace it looked as though the visitors would increase their lead but the hosts had other idea. Howells limped off injured on 39 minutes and was replaced by Asafu-Adjaye and it was the substitute's mistake that led to United equalising in first-half injury time when Soares finished well from eight yards. The second half began scrappy, both sides guilty of giving the ball away with Hayes' confidence boosted by the goal before the break. It took the Town time to get going again with Watkins' arrival for Dance seeing the formation change to 4-3-3 and immediately the visitors upped the ante. Crow glanced a header over the bar on 65 minutes following Willmott's cross from the left and Lawless hitting low drive into the side-netting a minute later. The Hatters continued to press with Watkins' energy instigating a flowing move that resulted in Keane hitting a rasping effort inches over the bar on 71 minutes. Five minutes later Morgan-Smith saw a shot blocked behind when well-placed after good work from Watkins and then a minute later Watkins saw a shot cleared off the line by Tom Cadmore after being found well by Lawless. As the Hatters pushed forward they left themselves vulnerable at the back and they were almost paid to pay three minutes from time when a fantastic save from Tyler kept out a goal-bound effort from Luke Williams. The Town tried in vain for a late, late winner but it didn't arrive and Brabin and co had to settle for a share of the spoils. For minute-by-minute analysis see below. Attendance: 1,015 (including 727 from Luton). Result from Kingfield Hayes & Yeading United 2 (Soares 4, 45) Luton Town 2 (Morgan-Smith 26, Crow 28) FULL-TIME It's ended all square here at Kingfield. Reaction, analysis, interviews and photographs to follow. 90 mins - Into the last minute now. Three minutes added. 87 mins - Time ticking here at Kingfield as the Town flood forward, nothing breaking at the minute for the men in white. 86 mins - Almost 3-2 to the hosts and it's Tyler to the rescue as he keeps out Luke Williams' shot that looked to be heading in. 84 mins - All gone a bit quiet as the host make another change, Joseph-Dubois replaced by Daniel Wishart. 80 mins - 10 minutes left now for the Hatters to find a winner. 78 mins  Final change for the Town, Crow off and replaced by Aaron O'Connor. 77 mins - CHANCE. And the Town are inches away from re-taking the lead. Lawless scooping a lovely pass over the home defence to  Watkins whose shot is saved by Arnold. It trickles towards towards the goal but with Crow rushing in, Cadmore clears off the line and it remains two each. 76 mins - Almost a chance. Watkins finding AMS in space, blocked for a corner when well placed, aiming for the bottom corner. 74 mins - Second change for the hosts as the Town press...Hector Mackie replacing Crockford. 71 mins - Ooooh! Patient stuff from the Hatters, good football resulting in Watkins laying the ball off to Keane 22 yards out to blast a well-hit effort goalwards that narrowly clears the crossbar. Wasn't far away. 66 mins - Still the pressure continues, this is much better. This time it's Lawless, on his own, strides forward and lets fly from 15 yards with a low shot that hits the side netting. 65 mins - Better from the Hatters, there best yet in the second period. Willmott, curling in a right-foot cross that Crow gets to first, glancing a header just over. 64 mins - That change has seen the Town go 4-3-3 with Watkins joining Lawless and Keane in the middle of the park, Morgan-Smith switch to the right wing, Willmott still on the left, further forward, with Crow leading the line. 62 mins Second change for the Town, off comes Dance, replaced by Watkins. 59 mins - Town need to up this if they're to get three points here, neither goalkeeper has had a save to make this half. Adam Watkins getting ready to join the fray. 53 mins - The Hatters are trying, AA doing well to cut inside, a lay the ball off to Willmott Cryuff like. Willmott then nutmegs his man but then contrives to balloon his cross horrible high and wide. 50 mins - Little to report early doors in this second half as yet. Town on top, though. 48 mins - First chance of the second half falls to the hosts, a curling free-kick by Ryan Crockford which sails over the crossbar. 46 mins Town get us offf and underway this second half. No changes at the break. HALF-TIME Somehow it's even at the break, the Town victims of their own downfall, missing two penalties and conceding two soft goals, including one in stoppage time at the end of the first 45. The Hatters have dominated by it's 2-2 at the interval. 45 + 1 mins  GOAL HAYES & YEADING 2-2 Town (Soares) Nightmare for the Town. Asafu-Adjaye gets in a pickle at the back allowing the hosts a break in the box and against the run of play LOUIE SOARES strokes home his second of the night to make it all square. 45 mins - Three added minute to play at the end of this first half. 44 mins - H&Y are making their first change of the night, John replaced by debutant Jack Saville. 41 mins - Still the Town press, looking for a third before the break, Willmott whizzing past three defenders to win a corner. Great pace from the winger. 39 mins Howells is off limping after a challenge in the far left-hand side and the verdict is that he can't continue. On comes Ed Asafu-Adjaye in his place at left-back. 36 mins - 10 minutes to the break, the Town still lead. Left-wing raid by the visitors causes the Hatters defence a problem but Luke Williams' off-target effort from the edge of the box doesn't, as it flys over the bar. 32 mins - Only the Hatters could miss two penalties and lead after going a go behind. It's why we keep coming back! 28 mins  GOAL! Hayes & Yeading 1-2 TOWN (Crow) - Relief all round as two goals in two minutes completes the turnaround. Simple one this as Lawless pings a lovely ball over the top to an onside DANNY CROW who races through, rounds Arnold and slots home well. Get in! 26 mins  GOAL! Hayes & Yeading 1-1 TOWN (Morgan-Smith) - Well. Sign this keeper up for penalty shootouts. Howells breaks into the box down the left and is bundled over. He steps up from 12 yards but sees his effort blocked by Arnold, unbelievably his second penalty stop inside 10 minutes. However, just like on Saturday the rebound falls to a Luton player and AMARI MORGAN-SMITH slots a smart side-foot finish into the bottom corner. Game on. 25 mins - PENALTY TO LUTON 23 mins - Both sides trading the ball at the minute but the Hatters do look lively going forward, especially through Willmot, using his pace to attack down the left wing. 20 mins - Still the Town press, Willmott and Howells looking their main threat down the left flank. 17 mins - Arnold saved two penalties in H&Y's first game of the season, his third stop from 12 yards this season for the home stopper. 16 mins - So, it remains 1-0 as the Town miss a gilt-edged opportunity as Crow, racing onto a lovely cross-field pass by Willmott is brought to the deck in the box by Diak John. It's Crow that steps up from 12 yards but his effort is well kept-out by Steve Arnold. 16 mins - Saved 15 mins - PENALTY TO LUTON - Crow fouled 12 mins - Almost a chance for 2-0 for the visitors as Richard Pacquette beats the offside trap and strides forward but as he pulls the trigger he's denied by a block from Osano. Good, and crucial, defending. Phew. 9 mins - Town been on top since the goal but nothing doing. That's the fourth time in five games the Hatters have gone behind this season. 4 mins  GOAL! HAYES & YEADING 1-0 Town (Soares) - Well. Hayes clear a corner and then race up the other end and take the lead. LOUIE SOARES brings the ball out of defence and finds Pierre Joseph-Dubois on the right. He's got time and space to look up and spot Soares in the six yard box who drills the ball home past an exposed Tyler. 0-1. 2 mins - So as the Town get off to a bright start with some possession football they're 4-4-2 again with Howells, Osano, Antwi and Beckwith across the back, Willmott, Dance, Keane and Lawless in midfield with Crow and Morgan-Smith up front. 1 min Annnnd we're off as the hosts get us underway. 19:43 HERE THEY COME Out come the two sides onto the pitch, Town in white, United in red shirts, black shorts. 19:41 (UN)CROWDED H&Y have averaged just 217 for their two home games this season so far. 19:38 BULLISH BOSS H&Y boss Nas Bashir writes in his programme notes: "Tonight we entertain Luton Town. A big name, but nothing to feared...This is Kingfield, this is our home and this is where no club has yet to come this season and won. Tonight we will be continuing that record." 19:34 PRESS BOX PREDICTIONS Andrew Barringer: 4-1 Luton, Simon Pitts: 3-1 Luton, Mark Wood: 2-0 Luton, Euan Duncan: 4-0 Luton, Bill Cole: 3-0 Luton. 19:24 ON THIS DAY Believe it or not, it was this day last year that the Town were held to a 1-1 draw by Hayes & Yeading at Kenilworth Road. Andy Drury scored the Hatters goal, an equaliser, that day. 19:08 UNCHANGED The Town remained unchanged following Saturday's 3-1 win over Braintree. It's the same bench, too. Full teams to follow. 19:02 WARMING UP The Town outfield players now out on the pitch. It's going to be white shirts, orange shorts and white socks tonight. 18:54 NAUGHTY NAUGHTY Mark Tyler, Kevin Pilkington and Dmitri Kharine have just been told off by stewards that they're not allowed to warm up on the pitch before 7pm! 18:25 WEATHER WATCH The players have just arrived and reading their programmes on the pitch. Overcast here in Surrey. 17:15 ONE MICKY HARFORD As we posted on Facebook and twitter earlier, former Town boss and player Mick Harford was on TalkSport radio, chatting to Richard Keys and Andy Gray. Harford admitted on air that the own goal he scored whilst playing for Derby against the Hatters at Kenilworth Road in 1991 was deliberate. Click here and listen to Mick talking about his time with the Town and other career highlights (click on the 12:00-12:30 tab and advance to seven minutes in for the interview) 17:05 TRAFFIC REPORT There is plenty of rush hour traffic on the M25. The M3 is closed too, so if you're thinking of coming tonight you better get a move on to make kick-off! 16:00 BACK IN PLAY Ninth in the table and unbeaten after four games the Town are in good shape early in this Blue Square Bet Premier campaign. Two wins and two draws have left manager Gary Brabin "content" with his side's start to the season. He knows that eight points could have been more. Conversely, he knows that given stretched resources with defenders and midfielders missing through injury, the eight points gained so far is a more than adequate return. While Town physio Simon Parsell continues to play catch-up by nursing through the likes of captain George Pilkington and co. back to full fitness, so does Brabin and his squad: two games behind the teams above them in the table following postponements and rearrangements, leaves the Hatters poised to strike. But forget the games played column. For centuries managers have said "I'd rather have the points in the bag than have games in hand". Brabin hasn't said it yet, for he hopes his side can just continue the steady improvement made in recent weeks. Tonight, an opportunity. An opportunity to break into the top into the top five. In their way, Hayes & Yeading United. Continually written off at the start of each season the Handymen (Hayes and Yeading, read HandY- geddit?) continue to rubbish the bookies predictions. A club that will always be remembered for being on the end of that 8-0 victory at Kenilworth Road in 2010, that game apart (Town seven-up inside half-an-hour, etc) there have been three very tough fixtures against United. A frustrating 1-1 draw at home last season quickly springing to mind. Admittedly the United side, and set-up will be different tonight. Garry Haylock - the man who masterminded United's promotion and subsequent mid-table finishes over the past two seasons - has left, with Nas Bashir taking charge of a club who have upped sticks to Woking while their new stadium takes shape. So far it's been a mixed bag for Bashir. An opening day win over Alfreton put United top of the league after one game. Unfortunately it's been downhill since. No wins in four, with just a point taken. However, forget a 4-0 drubbing at Newport and, in between, have been narrow defeats at Cambridge and Fleetwood. Respectable points on the road were nearly earned if it wasn't for conceding goals in the last five minutes of both of those games. A goal four minutes into injury time denied them all three points against Bath City a week ago tonight. The Town will look to exploit that possible weakness this evening but as Brabin says, it's not going to be easy...   Well, whatever happens tonight, and throughout the season, your official website will have everything covered: every step of the way: live, on radio and via social media. If you can't make the match then we'll have all the goals and incidents as it happens live with the usual news in the run-up to kick-off with team line-ups and plenty of chat as your official website has, as ever, the usual updates keeping you bang up-to-date with all the action - and in a number of ways. There's none of those boring ball-by-ball "defensive thrown-in taken by Luton left-back" updates as we continue to and bring you an updated and detailed text commentary. This is a great way to keep in touch and has been popular to those supporters not able to get to a computer or a radio as the service is also available and is updated live on our WAP site. On Hatters Player you all have access to our live commentary. Remember, Player is available as ever which means you all have access to our live commentary. If you haven't heard it yet then where you have been? It's still brought to you by Simon "Statto" Pitts but he's got company this time! The DiverseFM team have collaborated with BBC Three Counties radio and the Club to bring you the Luton Town Show. Following the final whistle we'll have all the reaction from the men that matter this afternoon, bringing you exclusive video content from Gary Brabin and from the dressing room. We'll have plenty of content to keep you interested as we'll have all of the post-match reaction from Brabs as well as match action from Gareth Owen to follow after the final whistle. Be sure to check out - our online image library. Like a picture you see and fancy having that on a mug? Well, fancy no more - with Hatters Pics it's a reality. Remember, we want you to get in touch. Join the updates and get in touch. Email and we'll pick the best comments to go live on the site during our live updates. Don't forget we're also on twitter and Facebook so feel free to interact with your fellow fans online. Enjoy the game. COYH!  
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.