Skip to main content


18:22 21st May 2011


Devastation was etched on the face of every Town player and fan as the Hatters lost the Blue Square Promotion final on penalties. AFC Wimbledon's Seb Brown was the hero for the south-London club, saving twice from twelve yards to send his side into the Football League after both teams had failed to score in 120 tense, evenly-matched minutes of football. Gary Brabin could have asked for little more from his charges, who gave it their all and could have won the game in normal time when Jason Walker hit the post. But the Town's 126th year of football will be their third in the Football Conference, as penalty misses from Alex Lawless and Walker dashed the Hatters' hopes in the cruellest of fashions. It could have been so different. Clearly fired up from the whistle, the Town launched themselves into the match early on and started at a high tempo. Zdenek Kroca could have scored in as early as the fourth minute when Robbie Willmott's fierce inswinging corner caused a scramble in the Wombles' box. The Hatters started the game looking dangerous going forward, but slightly jittery, and they had a huge scare on eight minutes, when AFC's leading scorer Danny Kedwell thought he'd put his side in front. A quick break from the Wombles resulted in Kaid Mohammed's shot squirming free in the six-yard-box, but as the Dons' captain pounced, the linesman raised his flag to rule offside. The frantic nature of the opening period continued when, after some great build-up play, Willmott got behind right-back Sam Hatton and fired in a low cross towards Walker, but superb last-ditch defending from Wimbledon's Brett Johnson thwarted the Hatters forward. Jake Howellls then sculpted a chance for himself, showing great technique to take the ball down and cut inside onto his right foot, but his shot was gathered by goalkeeper Brown at the second attempt. Another fright for Luton came on 18 minutes when Ed Asafu-Adjaye was beaten down the right flank, allowing Kedwell to drill a cross into the box which looked for a moment to have eluded Mark Tyler in the Town goal, the Hatters stopper just managing to scoop the ball into his arms despite the close attentions of Rashid Yussuff. After a quiet start, Claude Gnakpa sprang to life, showing his well-documented big-match appetite with a fierce effort on goal after 20 minutes. Lawless fed Keith Keane in the Town midfield, who picked out the Frenchman who had drifted over to the left flank in search of space. A dip of the shoulder fooled his marker Sam Hatton, allowing Gnakpa to turn into the box and fire a rocket at goal from a tight angle, which Brown did well to beat away. The England 'C' 'keeper was doing a good job of keeping the Hatters at bay, and was called in to action several times in the space of a minute as the game continued to open up on the large pitch. Howells was pole-axed by the Wombles' Jamie Stuart on 27 minutes, and Brown did well to rise highest and paw Willmott's fiercely whipped-in free-kick out for a corner. From the resultant set-piece, Howells found George Pilkington, and as the skipper's shot was blocked, Zdenek Kroca and Walker joined the goalmouth melee, only for Brown again to punch the ball away. As the half went on, the Town seemed to take inspiration from the fantastic atmosphere from the noisy travelling Hatters fans, in particular home-grown Howells and Keane, who were showing great aggression and tenacity in the centre of midfield. And that same spirit was demonstrated by Pilkington when he threw himself to the ground in order to block a low shot from Mohammed. Willmott had been the Hatters chief attacking outlet in the first period, and he showed his ambition again on the stroke of half-time by turning inside Hatton and unleashing a shot from 20 yards, but, travelling at speed, he was unable to keep his effort down. As referee James Adcock prepared to blow for half-time, Keane picked up a booking for a trip on Luke Moore which prevented the Dons from breaking up-field. Both teams had reason to be relieved to enter the break with a clean-sheet, as the two sides had each shown a verve and willingness to attack, whilst at the same time occasionally seeming to struggle to deal with the size of the pitch and of the occasion. The second half started in the same tense fashion as the first, and Lawless joined Keane in the referee's notebook when he scythed down Moore on the half-way-line. Gnakpa created the Town's first chance of the second period for himself just shy of the hour-mark; sending a left-foot effort from outside the box fizzing wide after chesting down a long pass. AFC responded, and Kroca had to be alert to nip between Kedwell and Yussuf as the blues piled forward. Dan Gleeson and Tyler then excelled as the ball bounced around the box; Gleeson blocking a Mohammed hammer-drive, and Tyler bravely leaping above Kedwell to pluck a high cross out of the air. As the game went past the hour mark, Brabin made a tactical change, replacing Willmott with top-scorer Matthew Barnes-Homer as the Town switched to 4-4-2 with Howells moving out wide. The Town continued to try to make things happen. Gleeson thumped a speculative 40-yard effort wide of the bar, and Asafu-Adjaye followed suit moments later with a long-range drive that was deflected out for a corner. Pilkington rose highest from Howells's dead ball, but his header landed on top of the roof of the net. Wimbledon boss Terry Brown sent on tricky wide-man James Mulley for Ricky Wellard, and the left-winger instantly showed his quality, beating Gleeson and cutting in with a shot that sent Tyler sprawling to keep out his low right-foot shot. Tense matches such as this can often hinge on a single mistake, and it can be tempting for players to play safe; but with fifteen minutes to go Tyler showed the benefits of taking risks too. Despite not being the favourite to beat Kedwell to a loose-ball in the box, the experienced number one boldly chose to rush off his line to put pressure on the striker. For a moment it looked as though the Wombles' number nine had beaten him to it, but Tyler had got his angles right and did just enough to force Kedwell out for a goal-kick. The nail-biting final minutes of the 90 saw numerous chances. Wimbledon substitute Ismail Yakubu should have put the Dons in front with an 85th minute header from a corner but nodded the ball wide, and Mulley went close with another driven strike from outside the box. Hattters fans were then left with their heads in their hands when, after Lawless had sent Walker through, Barnes-Homer and Howells both tried to find the finishing touch in a goal-mouth scramble, but neither could get a shot through the crowded six-yard-box. And Luton were a hair's breath from the Football League when Walker went even closer with two minutes of ordinary time remaining. The striker was already wheeling away in celebration after heading Howells's cross past Brown, only to see the ball bounce back off the inside of the post. It was the closest either side had come to breaking the long deadlock, but as Asafu-Adjaye flung himself in front of another goal-bound AFC shot, the referee blew his whistle to confirm the stalemate and usher in another 30 minutes of extra time. Memories of the Johnstone Paint Trophy must have been flickering through the mind of every Town fan as the men in orange gathered in the centre circle for one last breather before the start of added time. That day at Wembley two years ago was a day for unlikely heroes, and right-back Gleeson almost joined his colleague Gnakpa in Hatters folklore when he broke forward and smashed a fantastic effort at goal from 30 yards, but his shot curled just wide. The Town came close again mid-way through the first period of extra time when Kroca popped up in the area. Lawless showed ingenuity in picking out Walker with a chipped ball over the top, and as the diminutive forward clipped the ball into the six-yard box Kroca was narrowly beaten to the ball by Wimbledon's Yakubu. Lawless almost scored himself just before the half-way change-around when he picked the ball up in midfield and drove forward like he had done at Wrexham a fortnight ago, but though his shot was well struck, he couldn't quite curl it inside Brown's far post, but still the game remained goalless as it entered the final period of extra time. After the final restart, Mulley could have finally broken the deadlock but for the brilliance of Tyler in the Town goal. Working his way into the box, he bore down on goal, picked his spot, and sent a low shot that looked destined to go in, but somehow Tyler managed not only to get down and save, but to hold on to the ball and protect himself from a number of blue-shirted forwards who were lingering with intent. AFC had numerous chances to finish the Town off in the dying moments. Mohammed almost won the tie with nine minutes remaining, hitting the post from Moore's drag-back after Kroca had slipped in the area. Then Moore himself should have wrapped things up with a close-range effort, skewing wide what should have been a tap-in under pressure from Gleeson in the six-yard box. And finally Yakubu missed a sitter which should have sent Wimbledon up, somehow nodding a free header wide after finding space at the back post. But no-one was to find a break-though, and this tightest and nerviest of games was prolonged even further with a penalty shoot-out. And then, heartbreak at the end for Luton. Lawless, such a talisman of late, missed the first kick of the shoot-out, seeing Brown save his shot in the bottom left-hand corner. The Town were never to recover from that hammer-blow, despite well-struck penalties from Adam Newton, Pilkington and Howells. Hopes were raised when Tyler kept out Mohammed's effort, but as Brown saved magnificently from Walker's shot down the middle, it became clear that there would be no happy ending for the Town. With Hatton, Moore and Yakubu all converting their penalties, it was left to leading marksman Kedwell to finish from 12 yards to send his team into raptures. Congratulations must go to AFC Wimbledon, who have come so far in such a short space of time since forming in 2002, but any affection for the Wombles and their fans is of no consolation for devastated Hatters fans, players and staff. Another year in non-league football is now the reality that the Town must come to terms with over the summer, as the road back to the League proves a longer, tougher, and more painful one than any Hatter could have foreseen. For minute-by-minute anaylsis see below. Live from City of Manchester Stadium Luton Town 0 AFC Wimbledon 0 (AFC Wimbledon win 4-3 on penalties) It's another season in the Blue Square Bet Premier for the Town. A full report, reaction and photographs to come. AFC WIMBLEDON WIN 4-3 ON PENS Kedwell for AFC, to win it ...and does 3-3 Howells up, needs to score... Yakubu, scored Town 2-3 Wimbledon Walker, saved by brown 2-2 Mohamed, TYLER SAVES 2-2 Newton, scores, Town 2-2 Wimbledon Moore, scores, Town 1-2 Wimbledon Pilkington, scores, great pen Town 1-1 Wimbledon Hatton scores Town 0-1 Wimbledon Lawless - misses, Brown saves, 0-0 LUTON UP FIRST PENALTIES WILL BE TAKEN AT THE AFC WIMBLEDON END OF THE GROUND FULL-TIME IN EXTRA TIME PENALTIES TO DECIDE WHO EARNS PROMOTION TO THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE. 120 mins + 1 - Oh my word. Cross from the right, Yakubu at the back post, heads wide. One added minute. 120 mins - Agonising...chance for Wimbledon, somehow goes wide. 118 mins - Two minutes left... 115 mins - Crickey, Wimbledon work it down the right and square it across the face of goal but with it gaping for 1-0, Gleeson and Tyler do enough to put Moore off. Phew. 114 mins - Six minutes left, end-to-end, horrible, horrible stuff and the minute and the scores are level. 112 mins - AFC HIT THE POST. Moore gets in behind the Town defence, Kroca slips. Moore cuts it back to Mohamed but his effort from 10 yards clips the outside of the post. Phew. 111 mins - Nine minutes until penalties. I am absolutely hating every minute of it. 109 mins - Just realised I've mucked the times up. Don't worry there's not three minutes left. Try 11 instead. How are your nerves holding up? 107 mins - Tyler to the rescue - he might be needed in about 15 minutes time - as he keeps out a surefire goal as AFC beat the Town offside trap and Mulley blasts a low shot goalwards. I thought it was in, so did everyone else but, thankfully, it wasn't. Phew. 106 mins - 15 minutes left or it's penalties. Town restart this time. COYH! HALF-TIME IN EXTRA TIME Still 0-0. THe Hatters have probably just shaded the last 15 minutes but you just can't seperate either side. Check back in, oooh, about two minutes for the second half updates. COYH! 105 mins - We've got one added minute at the end of this first half in extra time. 104 mins - And then there is a chance and it aint half a bad effort either as Howells and Asafu-Adjaye do well to find Lawless who, eyeing a carbon copy of his goal at Wrexham, drives a super shot that whistles inches wide with Brown at full stretch. 102 mins - In truth not a lot to tell you about, the Hatters are having more of the ball. Just. 100 mins - We're into the 100th minute. 98 mins - Almost half a sniff for the Town but they can't guide the ball home with Kroca in the mix, still up in attack. 96 mins And he does just that replacing Gnakpa. 95 mins - Looks like Adam Newton is going to join the fray. 94 mins - Third and final change for the Wombles as Lee Minshull replaces Gregory. 92 mins - From the resultant free-kick, AFC half clear. It sits up nicely for Gleeson 25 yards. He whacks it goalwards and arrows over the crossbar. Great effort, great technique, just a little bit lower next time... 91 mins - 14 seconds into the half there's another yellow, time for Gregory for hauling down Gnakpa. 91 mins Here we go then the first half of extra time, Wimbledon to kick-off. FULL-TIME It's extra time...Quite, quite unbelievable. 30 minutes more of it now...Stay with us. COYH! 90 mins + 3 - About a minute left, still can't believe that Walker header. Unreal.  90 mins - We're in the last minute and there will be four added minutes to play. 89 mins - WALKER HITS THE POST - Oh my goodness. Howells flies down the left and it's a great, great cross for the little striker - it looks like it's heading in but the ball comes back off the woodwork. Unbelievable. 88 mins - Two minutes left. Nerves jangling. Crowd really giving it their all at the minute. 87 mins - Oh my word the Hatters should be leading. Walker is found expertly in the box his shot is saved by Brown and with the goal gaping with a tap in there, Barnes-Homer can't quite guide the ball in and after a melee the Wombles clear. Crickey. 86 mins - Four left - shot from Gregory from 20 yards whistles past the post. 85 mins - Five minutes left and hearts in mouths once more - a goal now will surely seal it - a Hatton corner from the left finds Yakubu but his header goes just wide. All the Wombles now. 84 mins - Brabs is getting animated on the touchline and needs to be calmed down by Alan Neilson as the ref gives him a ticking off. 83 mins - Concern for Keane momentarily as he goes to ground after a foul on the edge of the Hatters penalty area. He's up and okay now. 82 mins - Clammy (is that how it's spelt?) hands in the pressbox. Time ticking down. 80 mins - 10 minutes left and it's two bookings apiece as Moore goes in the book for a foul on Keane. 78 mins - Back come the Hatters though. It's nice football but Brown isn't tested. Tension is high here. 76 mins - Almost hearts in mouths time for the Town as Kedwell beats the offside trap in the inside right channel, goes past the on-rushing Tyler but the ball rolls out of play. 75 mins - Period of possession from the Hatters now but nothing doing. There's 15 minutes left... 72 mins - Half a sniff for the Wombles but nothing to worry Tyler about this time as Yakubu's low shot from 18 yards rolls wide of the post. 70 mins - Chance for AFC as Mulley wastes no time testing Tyler with a curling shot that the keeper tips wide even though it looked to be heading wide anyway. 69 mins - No doubt that the Hatters are looking a lot brighter now following the tactical switch with Barnes-Homer up top. 67 mins - Second change for Terry Brown's side as he brings on James Mulley for Ricky Wellard. 67 mins - Better now from the Town as they break down left. Asafu-Adjaye runs, and runs and runs and then is urged to shoot by the Hatters hordes. It takes a nick behind for a corner that Howells floats to the back post but Pilkington sees his header drop just over the crossbar. 65 mins - Bit of pressure now from the Hatters thank goodness. As long as the ball is down the other end of the pitch I'm happy. The ball breaks to Gleeson 35, maybe 40 yards out, he hits it first time but the 66/1 about him scoring a goal from outside the box isn't going to happen this time as his shot goes high, wide and handsome. 62 mins - Swiftly followed by an AFC sub as Ismail Yakubu replaces Gwillim. The Hattters now look 442 with MBH and Walker up top with Howells on the left, Gnakpa on the right with Keane and Lawless in the middle of the park. 61 mins First change of the game and it's by Gary Brabin as Matthew Barnes-Homer replaces Willmott. Not bad to put on your 19-goal leading scorer on. 60 mins - More encouragment for the Wombles but the Hatters have Tyler to thank for plucking out a high cross to the back post by Moore. 59 mins - Back come AFC as Yussuff glides down the right. He finds Kedwell who shoots first time but sees his effort blocked by Kroca. 58 mins - The Hatters need to up it here themselves as the Wombles look dangerous. But then the Town break with Willmott picking out Gnakpa who takes a touch past one man before striking a shot way wide with his left foot. 57 mins - The attendance inside the stadium is 18,195. Approximately 12,000 of are decked out in orange backing the Town. 54 mins - Second man in the book for the Town as Lawless gets a yellow for sything down Moore. 54 mins - All Wimbledon at the minute the Hatters have barely had a kick this half. 52 mins - Now there is. And it's the Wombles that are upping the ante as a neat move around the outside of the Town's 18 yard box eventually sees Moore whack a shot goalwards that is blocked by Pilkington. 51 mins - Six minutes into this second half - it's blown by - and still not much to report. 47 mins - Still nervous? I bet you are. Nothing of note to tell you about yet to be honest, apart from a run down the right by Gleeson that came to nothing. 46 mins - No changes for either side at the break, by the way. 46 mins Annnnnnnd we're off for the second half here at the CoMS - 45 minutes - maybe more - left. It's the Townt that kick-off and they're now shooting towards their orange hordes. COYH! HALF-TIME And there's the end of the first half here at Eastlands. It's been tense, it's been nervous and exicting but after the first 45 minutes it's goalless at the break. Check back in 15 minutes for the second half. 45 mins + 2 - First Town man in the book is Keane for a rash challenge on Moore. 45 mins - They'll be two minutes added time to play at the end of this first half. 45 mins - The Town then win the ball back with Lawless and Gleeson doing well to do just that. It eventually leads to Willmott arrowing a shot from the left-hand edge of the penalty area that whizzes way over Brown's crossbar. 43 mins - Terry Brown's side are the now ones with most of the ball as we approaching half-time. Tyler not been called into any action, though, thank goodness. 40 mins - Long spell of possession for the Wombles and Kedwell is denied a shot at goal by a brave block from Asafu-Adjaye. Five minutes to the break. 37 mins - Keano, Keano, chant the Town supporters as the midfielder gets to hit feet after coming through several crunching tackles with a free-kick for his side. The Hatters really stepping this up now. 36 mins - No sooner do I say that back come the Wombles as Kedwell pings a superb cross-field pass to Moore who eventually finds Mohamed but the moves breaks down and the Town can clear. 34 mins - Oh, so close and the Town go close once more - they're really getting into this game now. Willmott bends in the free-kick and it's Gnakpa that meets it unmarked from 12 yards but his header flies inches over the crossbar. All the Town now. 33 mins - First booking is for a man in blue as AFC's Johnson gets a yellow for a crudge challenge on Gnakpa. 32 mins - Hearts in mouths time as Kedwell steams through. Pilkington puts in a challenge but with everyone in blue appealling for a penalty, referee Adcock says no foul. 30 mins - Half a chance for the Hatters as Gnakpa ghosts down the right, looks up and spots Walker but the striker's header doesn't have the accuracy and it flies over the bar. 28 mins - And still it comes, good period this now for the Town and the support is encouraged. Howells does well again, this time down the right, crossing for Pilkington. He sees a shot blocked that finds Kroca who misses his kick. The ball then flies skywards for Walker to attack but Brown punches away. 27 mins - More Town pressure. Howells does well to win a free-kick - getting poleaxed by Jamie Stuart. Willmott whips in the free-kick that Brown paws away. 24 mins - Back come the Wombles as Tyler has to punch away from underneath his own crossbar at the near post as Sam Hatton's inswinging left-wing corner dangerously arched its way goalwards. 21 mins - CHANCE. And AFC have Brown to thank to prevent Gnakpa from making it 1-0. Keane does well to retrieve a Pilkington header going out of play. Lawless then picks out the Frenchman down the left, inside the box. He rolls comfortably past one man before blasting a shot goalwards that Browndoes well to turn over. 20 mins - The Hatters do look good on the break - it's almost switched to AFC now playing that patient play. The Town looking especially good down the left flank. 18 mins - Almost another scare for the Hatters as Kedwell crosses from the right. Tyler gets a hand to it but doesn't gather it completely. It drops in the box and hits Pilkington but before Moore can get a foot to it to tap it in, the keeper pounces gratefully. 17 mins - ...curls high and wide by Willmott. 16 mins - Quarter of an hour gone. How's your nerves? Free-kick to the Town 28-ish yards out... 14 mins - Half a chance for the Hatters and Seb Brown, the Dons goalkeeper, who has been such a thorn in the Town's side this season, is called into action to keep out Jake Howells' deflected shot after he'd done well to beat his man after taking a lovely touch from Willmott's throw. The stopper grabs it at the second attempt with both Gnakpa and Kroca lurking for any spills. 12 mins - Pretty even steven so far, the Wombles looks a real threat going forward while the Town are playing a patient passing game. Willmott then scampers down the left and hooks across goal looking for Walker but a fine interception from Brett Johnson snuffs out the danger. 8 mins - Blimey. AFC break down the left through Mohamed. He keeps running and guides a shot goalwards that Tyler parries. The ball runs free and the goal is gaping and Danny Kedwell knocks the ball home into the net...however as the blue half of the ground goes bonkers and the orange half's hearts sink, up goes the flag of the linesman. Offside. No goal. Phew. 6 mins - Manager Gary Brabin is prowling the technical area. He has been from minute one and will do for the next 84. 5 mins - Pressure from the Wombles now, winning two corners of their own in the space of a minute. From the first whipped into the back stick Jamie Stuart heads wide. From the second, the ball sails harmlessly out of play. 3 mins - Early Town pressure and the noise goes up as they win the first corner of the game. Willmott's first is poor but cleared behind before Kroca guides a header just wide after Willmott's second flag-kick was headed high into the air. 2 mins - So as has come accustomed the Town are lining up with Tyler in goal, Gleeson, Kroca, Pilks, Ed AA across the back, Lawless, Howells and Keane in a midfield three, Willmott and Gnakpa in wide areas with Walker up top. 1 mins - First 30 seconds the Hatters get a sniff of the ball having dispossessed the Wombles of the ball early doors. Great colour and noise in the Town areas. 1 min Annnnnnnnd we're off - my word this is squeaky bum time - big time! It's AFC that get this Promotion Final underway. They'll be shooting towards the Town contigent this first half. COYH! 14:58 THE MESSAGE IS SIMPLE COME ON LUTON 14:55 INTRODUCTIONS Handshakes and presentations will be followed by coin toss and then we're almost set. 14:54 NEW KIT The Town are wearing THIS new strip this afternoon. 14:53 HERE THEY COME WHAT A RECEPTION 14:52 PA The teams have just been read out...HUGE cheers for every Town player. The Hatters' end of the ground is a sea of orange. 14:45 DEAR READERS... It's been an emotional two years in the Conference. The next 90 minutes and beyond is going to be Luton Town all over: a rollercoaster. Stay with us, won't you? And please, if there's any spelling mistakes, it's more to do with my nerves than my pour engleesh. COYH. 14:44 TWEET Former Town defender Emmerson Boyce on twitter: "Good luck to Luton, they can do it." 14:42 THE TEAMS Here, for the last time this season are your teams...(nervous really hitting the pressbox right now). Anyway... Town: Tyler, Gleeson, Kroca, G. Pilkington, Asafu-Adjaye, Lawless, Keane, Howells, Willmott, Gnakpa, J. Walker. Subs: Crow, Newton, Barnes-Homer, Graham, K. Pilkington. AFC Wimbledon: Brown, Hatton, Gwillim, Gregory, Stuart, Johnson, Wellard, Yussuff, Kedwell, Mohamed, Moore. Subs: Jolley, Turner, Yakubu, Minshull, Mulley. 14:35 TOWN UNCHANGED Same XI as Wrexham games but one change on the bench: Danny Crow is in for Lloyd Owusu. 14:33 PRESS BOX PREDICTIONS Earlier than usual... Andrew Barringer: 3-1 Luton, Matthew Parsfield: 3-1 Luton, Ian Ryan: 2-1 Luton, Mark Wood: 3-1 Luton (aet), Mike Simmonds: 2-2 aet (Luton 3-2 on penalties), Bill Cole 1-1 90 mins 2-2 aet (Luton 5-4 pens), Simon Pitts: 2-1 Luton, Justin Dealey: 2-0 Luton. 14:25 STILL NO TEAM NEWS Not sure if there's a photo-copier problem somewhere! 14:17 ORANGE, ORANGE EVERYWHERE The Town support that is already inside Eastlands are decked head-to-toe in orange. It's going to be a colourful day. 14:16 TWITTER AND FACEBOOK So much feedback on our official social media outlets. On twitter Dunstable Town are one of many clubs that have wished the Hatters good luck today. 14:14 STATTO Simon Statto Pitts currently urging on the Town supporters. First cries of Come on Luton. 14:13 VIA EMAIL FROM HOLLAND The day of the Hatter's return to league football is getting nearer. The regaining of the league-status approaches rapidly. Up the Hatters!!!!! Frank Seggelinck. 14:11 VIA EMAIL Best of luck for today just wish I could be there but will be following every minute on the internet. Expat now living in Kos COYH - Tony Stratton. 14:09 WARM UP Out come the first of the Town players onto the pitch, including Danny Crow. 14:08 VIA EMAIL Andy Ducat, the former manager of the Hatters' Study Centre: "Gidday Andrew. Hope the day goes well for you and the team. Since returning to NZ I have kept track of Luton's progress - never a dull moment.  It's 8.00 pm here so I'm not sure if I'll sit up to follow the reports. I'll check in early in the morning to see how the team has done." 13:54 VIA EMAIL FROM SWEDEN Hello Andrew, Just wanted to wish the club all the best for today's super important game. I'll be following the match report over the internet this afternoon. So now you know that this game is followed with interest even in Sweden. I got intersted in LTFC around 1970 when the club was promoted to the "real" div. 2. I do not know exactly why Luton, but anyhow I´ve kept following the club ever since. Over the years Í´ve seen LTFC play around 10 times at Kenilworth Road and away games at Charlton, Brighton and QPR. Luton is a worthy Football Lague club. I do hope they or we win today! All the best from Börje in Floby, Sweden
13:53 VIA EMAIL Come on you Hatters, I can't be there but there in spirit Cometh the hour cometh the Hatters. Paul in Lee on Solent Hampshire 13:50 VIA EMAIL Went to school with Robbie Willmott - occasionally played up top with him in the school side. Few mates going along today to watch, sadly I'm stuck in Nottingham University library with finals looming - i'll be keeping more than one eye on the game though. All the best to Robbie and everyone at LTFC. Up the hatters! Joe, in Nottingham 13:40 TEAM NEWS IN 20 Hopefully we'll have the all important team news in 20 minutes time. 13:30 ONT HE PITCH The Town players are out on the pitch in their suits, inspecting the green grass. 13:10 BEHIND THE SCENES Gareth Owen has got his camera into the Town dressing room... 13:00 PRESS-URE It's a busy and pretty plush press room. Several familar faces are already in here that we have seen up and down the country come and rain or shine. Loads of nerves, as expected. 12:45 CRYSTAL MAZE It's like a labyrinth inside the stadium, the shirts are hanging up in the dressing rooms. Pictures and video to follow. 12:00 INSIDE Inside the City of Manchester Stadium. Impressive. Empty at the minute. Nerves heightening... 11:00 GOOD LUCK MESSAGES Received tonnes so far, mostly on twitter which is streaming with messages. Notably from Corby Town - our opponents in the FA Cup back in November - and Hitchin Town. Keep tweeting @LTFC_Official and we'll retweet the best. 10:40 TOP STORY Fantastic piece written by Glenn Moore in today's Independent. 10:25 RELAXED VIBE We've just arrived at the team hotel. Mr Brabin looks very cool, calm and collected, 10:15 WEATHER WATCH At the moment it's sunny in Manchester but there's plenty of cloud in the sky. There's also a nip in the end. 10:10 SHAY SAYS As we loaded up last night, Manchester City goalkeeper Shay Given wishes the Town good luck at Eastlands - where, of course, he plys his trade. It's probably the most random six-second snippet we've ever launched but we still appreciate the stopper's support. 08:30 GET IN TOUCH Remember to get involved throughout today. Email, tweet @LTFC_Official or find us on Facebook. I'll try answer as many questions as possible. We'll be live inside Eastlands from 10am so stay tuned for more build up and pictures. Talking of seen these? 07:30 UP ALREADY? Yep, me too. Nervous? Yep, me too. This is my team, this your team, this is our team. We're live in Manchester for the biggest game in the Hatters' recent history with a place in the Football League at stake. Stay tuned throughout the morning, afternoon and evening for updates and much, much more. Come on you Hatters.
    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.